Author Topic: MK5 DSG GTI without paddle shift???  (Read 4864 times)

Offline blacky165

• Just got here
MK5 DSG GTI without paddle shift???
« on: 26 February 2008, 00:02 »
My local VW dealership (Inchcape Bridgnorth) weren’t awfully helpful in helping me with my particular program. I’ve got a MK5 GTI with a DSG gearbox, however for some reason the paddle shift is missing. I presume the original owner didn’t specify this option (however I thought it was standard with DSG box). How difficult would it be to retro fit the paddle shift wheel, and approximately what should I budget?

Thanks guys, new to the forum but i'm sure you can help me!

James

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: MK5 DSG GTI without paddle shift???
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2008, 00:15 »
this should be moved to the mk5 boards, you might get more of a response!!

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2008, 16:32 »
Thats odd.
All GTi's with DSG should come standard with the paddles. I think you should kick up a fuss with the dealer and insist the car has them fitted as I believe it can be retrofitted.

What year/model is the car and is it new or secondhand? Is the car under warranty?
If its a new car without paddles and under warranty I would be furious and even if its second hand I would still kick up a fuss.

Mods. As Crevice said could we please move this to the MK5 Section?
Im sure that everyone will be able to help more than I can.

Mike  :smiley:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2008, 17:43 »
From: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=77707.0

TBH you cant tell from that pic if it does have paddles - I also remember a time you couldnt spec paddle shift if you had the MFSW (as in that pic). Just cause it has DSG don't mean it will have paddles

and those seats are gash :sick:

I also remember a time you couldnt spec paddle shift if you had the MFSW (as in that pic). Just cause it has DSG don't mean it will have paddles

thats what i was wondering, i remember the paddles being an extra option on top of dsg when i was speccing a gti.. didn't know if you could tell by the buttons on the steering wheel or something.

on early dsg models you had to spec the pedals from the options as as someone said there were some conflicts when you couldnt have them with other then.

All recently DSG come with paddles as standard. Way it should be!

At first the paddles were an option. Didn't they cost a couple of hundered quid at the time?

Offline MikeGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2008, 20:32 »
On early Mk5 DSG's the paddles were an optional extra.

A paddle-shift steering wheel can be retro-fitted. My main dealer has never done it, but they thought around £300 for the wheel and an hours labour charges.