Author Topic: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32  (Read 16467 times)

Phil mcavity

Re: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32
« Reply #30 on: 29 October 2007, 22:52 »

any ideas of what the next one should be?  :embarassed:

A bluemotion Golf GTi would be "The Carlsberg " answer. Ever considered what Jezza Clarkson drove into BBC television centre.......on topgear Sunday

Offline TagnuT

• I live here
  • Edition 30
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2007, 10:16 »
Awww.......Just looks like his Dad   :smiley:

When you getting the Passat Phil?

Edit: you just answered that one.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2007, 19:54 by TagnuT »
Bye Bye Edition 30

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 17 April 2009, 08:31 »
I love to talk on golf related subject. You seem just like a golf expert. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum Mark... you do realise you have just pulled up a thread that finished in 2007??? :huh: :rolleyes:

Offline celica

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 18 April 2009, 02:03 »
Funny you should mention this as I was only just reading in an old car mag about these 2 against each other earlier today.

They basicly said that the R32 was thirstier, handled less well due to the extra weight up front and didn't feel "special" over the standard GTi even with the optional leather and sat nav. Their conclusion was buy a well spec'd Gti as it was the better car.

It was CAR magazine and they were testing them with the Astra VXR, Focus ST, Megane Cup or whatever its called, Mini Cooper S Works and BMW 130. The focus came 1st mostly due to price and the GTi 2nd. The R32 came about 5th.

Nick

is this online

or anyone got a copy to put online to view?

thanks

Offline celica

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 18 April 2009, 02:13 »
how da hell you get 30mpg!!!

they're both good cars

i have the r32 as i wanted to own one sort of unique car/fast car

it is not much more expensive, insurance is actually cheaper for me believe it or not but the fuel bill is high

living in london it's a killer, £20 = about 80-90 miles especially coming from a 1.2 POLO  :evil:

most people would tell you to try both and see but ultimately you might want to consider what your aims are when buying the car?

saying that though i am thinking of getting shot of my car shortly, any ideas of what the next one should be?  :embarassed:

what spec is yours?

Offline celica

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 18 April 2009, 02:17 »
your question was standard vs standard

the r32 is a great complete package IMO
ok it's not the quickest hot hatch even though with the biggest engine, but it has a fantastic v6 and 4wd.
downside with v6 is the extra cost in fuel and insurance, but as you do not many miles, hardly going to break the bank probably.

people mention about the gti 'tuned'
but what's the cost of this and where do you draw a line?
if you get a remap will you stop there, or will there be the temptation of dv, exhaust, lowering springs etc. while the r32 generally does all this from the box with better brakes.

but to change the feel of the car, try a remap you won't regret it.

Offline matthewsimone

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2009, 11:00 »
ed30 over r32 any day of the week the r32 just isnt special enough for what it is and how much it costs for its up keep and to be honest a fully loaded gti would still be my choice over the r32 if i was to buy the 32 it would have to be in a different leauge compared to gti/ed30 ie speed, handling etc etc but it just isnt, and i would always feel slightly let down by this fact and this coupled with the fact that the ed30 will be worth more in a few years time just isnt good enough for me, dont get me wrong i think the 32 is stunning from the rear but then again the gti/ed30 is stunning from the front where as the 32 is not so on the basis of value for money and fun for money its the gti/ed30 everytime, plus a re-map ed30 would probably nail a 32 anyway lol  :smiley:

Jkctr

« Reply #37 on: 18 April 2009, 12:03 »
Looks are subjective and the cost of the ed30 being more could actually go negatively. I picked up my R32 for £15k (its spec would have been near £30k new) so that half price straight away. I could then turbo for £10k if i want to put it to £25k (ED30 new) and have a 400BHP monster that will obliterate most cars and have 4wd and a meaty V6 engine.

The fact is all 3 cars offer something different, the ED30 and GTI actually were not special enough for me as i decided i wasnt too fussed about power, so thats ED30 out and the GTI was too expensive which what i wanted i.e. Leather recaros, xenons etc. So 4wd for quick get aways coupled with a great noise and the fact i hardly use it (30 miles over 6 weeks now) means its a much better option than an ED30 or GTI for me

:wink:

Offline matthewsimone

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 18 April 2009, 15:16 »
yeah suppose your right jules all 3 have something different to offer not necasarily better than each other just different, for me its the turbo that does it to be honest, i used to have a concourse series 1 rs turbo and finaly sold it and bought a 2003 civic type R but sold it on after 7 months as just missed having a turbo and the wind up noise from low revs etc which is the reason that brought me to my gti at present one test drive at the stealers and i was hooked lol just need a remap now but the pot is empty so patience is a virtue  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #39 on: 18 April 2009, 16:54 »

In a one versus the other of these two cars, there can never be a 'winner' - It's simply a matter of individual preference for what you want from a car. They are BOTH great cars. I love things about each of them and refuse to think that one is 'better' than the other. I'm more than extremely happy with my much modded GTI and I know I would be equally more than happy with a R32 if I had one.

:afro: :cool: :afro:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2