Author Topic: 'popping' during deceleration  (Read 2606 times)

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: 'popping' during deceleration
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2007, 18:52 »
mine has been booked in for timing and correct CO adjustment on firday, we'll see how it goes!

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline matt_s

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2007, 14:44 »
Will get someone to have a look at the timing. On Saturday my car is actually going back to the guys who fitted my reconditioned engine (needs a bit of tinkering)...being a bit of a novice with cars im not sure if the timing would come under the warranty/guarantee of the engine? Or is the timing to do with something else?

Cheers!!!

Offline matt_s

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2007, 15:12 »
To put it a bit better is the fact that the timing is off a fault with the engine?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2007, 15:21 »
the engine wont be at fault, it just needs some adjustment :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline matt_s

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2007, 14:05 »
When i took it back to the engine place i mentioned the popping...the guy said its just unburnt fuel and nothing to worry about. Its got much worse lately though, popping a lot more than it was last week and its almost like a deep 'croaking' noise during deceleration cos theres so many little pops!!

Also going off topic slightly my car went back because the tappets where making a very small noise (you know how it is, once you hear something it starts playing on your mind...no matter how small the noise is!!). Well he replaced the old tappets (followers i believe he called them) and its noisier than ever...sounds like a piece of sh!t!! Really P-d off!!

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2007, 14:53 »
Well tell the twit mechanic that there shouldnt be any unburt fuel in there! Should all get burnt. Which means your engine is not working correctly/efficiently.

The cam followers are hydraulic and do take a while to bed in and fill with oil, but that should only be a couple of trips max.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2007, 16:31 »
sounds like hes trying to fob you off, get my digifant tuning guide printed off and tell him to follow the instructions on it!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline matt_s

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2007, 17:31 »
Cheers guys!

Only picked the car up today so will wait a few days to see if followers quieten down!

May just do that jonny, although the place is about a 45 mins drive from me and im getting fed up of driving back and forth....may just take it to somewhere local instead.

Offline vw-bob

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2007, 18:54 »
i regularly get the popping noise when i decelerate. but it only seems to be since i drilled my air box (yes i know its not good to do but i got bored). so i am thinking of getting a new box from a breakers. but i today i have had a problem with the car. i think i have a serious mis-fire. but its only intermittent. i have no power and when i try and accelerate i get a big backfire. and when i try and pull away, the clutch is engaged and then i have a loss of power  :cry: