Author Topic: Engine leaking!! Please help!!  (Read 1121 times)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Engine leaking!! Please help!!
« on: 24 December 2006, 16:59 »
 :sad: i was wonderin if anybody has the following problem???

I've had the 8V GTi Digi for around 3 months, it was going well but now im getting some leakage around the spark plugs!

This is not the rocker cover gasket (so dont even ask) but actually petrol/oil escaping from around the 4 spark plugs (coming up through the plugs hole). The plugs are new and tightened accordingly. Fluid seems to be leaking more around plugs 2 & 3, and 1 & 4 have just started to go. The plugs are as tight as I'd want to get them.

Also, under load with 3/4 to full throttle the engine appears to make a clicking noise, so maybe the timing is out or the spark plugs are shorting internally? Either way could this be causing the extra fluid to leak from round the plugs? Either way, performance seems normal and there is no hesitation.

Another thing, I recently purchased a chip (one of these http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=46972.0), im thinking this is maybe even overfuelling/putting the timing out causing the above problem (i.e. excess fuel not being ignited)?? MPG is averaging 35/40 with little town driving, and im using 98 RON fuel. there does not seem to be any smoking caused by this.

Im hoping this isnt the beginning of the end!! i love this car! :cry:
« Last Edit: 24 December 2006, 17:08 by Crevice »


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline T_J_G

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,279
Re: Engine leaking!! Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2006, 18:33 »
:sad: i was wonderin if anybody has the following problem???

I've had the 8V GTi Digi for around 3 months, it was going well but now im getting some leakage around the spark plugs!

This is not the rocker cover gasket (so dont even ask) but actually petrol/oil escaping from around the 4 spark plugs (coming up through the plugs hole). The plugs are new and tightened accordingly. Fluid seems to be leaking more around plugs 2 & 3, and 1 & 4 have just started to go. The plugs are as tight as I'd want to get them.

Also, under load with 3/4 to full throttle the engine appears to make a clicking noise, so maybe the timing is out or the spark plugs are shorting internally? Either way could this be causing the extra fluid to leak from round the plugs? Either way, performance seems normal and there is no hesitation.

Another thing, I recently purchased a chip (one of these http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=46972.0), im thinking this is maybe even overfuelling/putting the timing out causing the above problem (i.e. excess fuel not being ignited)?? MPG is averaging 35/40 with little town driving, and im using 98 RON fuel. there does not seem to be any smoking caused by this.

Im hoping this isnt the beginning of the end!! i love this car! :cry:

hmm...dude after i've read this i'll check my parks plugs see if they're leaking (i don't think they are though) after your PM.

Quote from: Crevice
Im hoping this isnt the beginning of the end!! i love this car! :cry:

It's never the beginning of the end, it's an oppurtunity to make it BETTER.

 :smiley: :cool:

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Engine leaking!! Please help!!
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2006, 10:19 »
I have a little showing arround #1, always assumed it was the rocker gasket but I have changed it and it always seems to come back, but haven't noticed any problems even since I fitted a 2.0 bottom end.  what make sparkies are they, and have you tried new ones?
Clicking might be the tappets, have you checked your oil?

Apart from that, if its running well I wouldn't be too worried!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Engine leaking!! Please help!!
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2006, 11:28 »
They're bosch plugs, same as the old ones that came out. I dont think its tappets as the tappets are often noisy when until it gets warm anyway, and this is a different sound. Oil is always checked every week, which rules that one out. I'll get it looked at in the new year methinks, as theres a couple of other little things that need sorting.  :rolleyes:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Uku

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
Re: Engine leaking!! Please help!!
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2006, 13:25 »
ok you'll hate me saying this but imo its still your gasket , the crappy cork gaskets that gsf etc supply last 5 mins and leak agian!. if the plugs are tight theres no reason for oil/petrol to come through , if theres that much coming through the engine would run rough. for starters there shouldnt be oil entering the combustion chamber anyway, this would mean your rings are shagged and youd burn oil big time. as for petrol , its possible the plugs are shagged and its blowing by , worth changing em imo just incase.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Engine leaking!! Please help!!
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2006, 13:51 »
If you haven't done so already, buy a vw rocker gasket kit, it comes with new studs.  Its actually cheaper than buying the gasket on its own  :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.