Author Topic: cold start idling  (Read 2056 times)

Offline gogs

• Just got here
cold start idling
« on: 20 March 2003, 15:19 »
Can anyone help,

Just got myself an H-plate mk2 16v for free, the car was sitting for months without running before I got my hands on it.
The problem with it is when the car is cold and I start it, I have to give it some throttle to keep it running, after 5 mins I shut down the engine and re-start it it idles no problem quite steadily.

Could this be a problem with the cold start valve or idle adjustment valve?

Also the injector hoses look a bit dodgy, will the hoses from a mk1 do the job as I have a spare set.

Any help from fellow Golf nutters would be appreciated.

Gogs
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline tinman

• I live here
Re: cold start idling
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2003, 21:18 »
its the doobry whatsit.

goddamnit, always forget what the item is called. Richard will probably know its name.

essentially, its a box, about the size of a box of cigarettes, and its in the centre console.

the bad news is that it costs 180quid.

Regards,
Justin

mo3000

« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2003, 21:21 »
What does it do exactly when cold?

Tick over too slow so you have too tickle the throttle to keep it running?

Or does it rev and then almost die then rev again, until its warmed up?
:-/

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2003, 13:39 »
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but it regulates the engine (engine management unit) only when the engine is cold.

Its a bit like choking the engine when it is cold.

We think it also cured its choppy warm idle (eg the engine wasn't smooth when idling).

Regards,
Justin

ADDITION: I've just remembered how to test for it. Locate this box (Richardhazel will tell you where it is), and unplug it.

If its busted - you will see no difference in the engine behaviour.

« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2003, 15:52 »
I've never owned a 16V golf GTI but I do have some good resources to hand and have worked on them. According to my Bentley, all 1.8, 16V engines are fitted with the CIS-E fuel injection system. The box that you mention tinman, is that the oxygen sensor control unit? I'll have to read up and look in the manual, bit up to my eyes in 2 broken Audi's at the moment so will come back later on this evening and do my best to help.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2003, 21:38 »
Have a look here:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richandhazel1/CIS-E%20Injection%20system/CIS-E%20Injection%20system.htm

This is the fuel system that is fitted to the 1.8, 16V Golf GTI. I have highlighted the area where I think you need to look. It's very common for idle the stabilization valve to fail.  Here is a quote from the manual on how to carry out a quick check on it:-

'The idle air stabilizer valve operates continuously when the ignition is on and the coolant temperature sensor is connected. To check that the valve is functioning, start the engine. The valve should vibrate and hum slightly. If the valve is not operating, check that the idle switch on the throttle valve is closed and functioning correctly. If no faults are found with the idle switch, turn the engine off, disconnect the harness connector from the valve, and check for continuity at the terminals on the valve. If there is no continuity, the valve is faulty and should be replaced.'

I have heard it is possible to fix these valves simply by removing them and cleaning them up.
After all that it'll be sods law that you have the auxillary air regulator type fitted, although I think thats unlikely.

Good luck.......let us know how you get on.

Oh and by the way, the Mk1 injection system has the metering unit to the right of the engine bay as you look at it, with the Mk2 its to the left. I would imagine the injection pipes will be different as a result. I can check the part numbers if you like?

Offline gogs

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2003, 15:09 »
Thanks for the info,

Will look into that oxygen sensor control unit and see if that is the cause of the problem.

Also heard from someone else that it could be corrosion around the 4 connections at the thermotime switch or the earth connection for the 5th injector, is this a possible problem?

Will check it out and let you know.

Cheers

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2003, 21:35 »
Go for that ISV first, usually fixes the problem.