Author Topic: 16v Idle speed valve  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Philpy

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 480
16v Idle speed valve
« on: 02 June 2006, 11:53 »
I dont know these vw engines very well  :embarassed: Dont surpose anyone has a pic of an engine bay with the location of the idle valve marked?

Thanks

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,382
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
Re: 16v Idle speed valve
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2006, 12:09 »
This is it




here you should be able to see where it lives - on the right side of the inlet manifold attached to the lower section  :wink:


"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline Philpy

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 480
Re: 16v Idle speed valve
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2006, 21:40 »
Thanks, thats where I thought but was expecting it to be closer to the throttle body!

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: 16v Idle speed valve
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2010, 21:01 »
Didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd post in this one :) I take it the ISV say's  (VDO) on it and is located near the dizzy cap in these pictures?

Now the question I have is if my ISV is fudged could it cause a high Idle as from what I've read it involves the car stalling etc? They seem to be expensive so don't want to buy one if it's not going to fix anything! I was going to replace all the hoses but I sprayed wd40 over them and had no change!

Thanks

Rich.

Offline bodga

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 339
  • F reg GTI 16v
Re: 16v Idle speed valve
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2010, 21:20 »
I had a problem with the tickover on my valver, the temp sensors on the R/H side of the head was the problem it runs sweet now and cost me nothing. :grin: read this thread:


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=160322.msg1478476#msg1478476

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: 16v Idle speed valve
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2010, 16:19 »
Bit confused on your other thread, how'd you sort it? by changing wires? (did your car run to temp before hand?)

Offline bodga

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 339
  • F reg GTI 16v
Re: 16v Idle speed valve
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2010, 22:37 »
I cleaned all three temp senders on the side of the head, tested them with my multimeter and found an odd reading on one, connected that one to the yellow/red wire and found the water temp gauge hardly moved and the idle problem was cured. i have just replaced the dodgy temp sender today with a new one so the temp gauge works properly now :grin:

my car has always run to temp by the MFA, (90-110deg)water temp gauge has been just below half way

It runs better now, a lot smoother tick over