Author Topic: 16v into a MK2 Driver  (Read 2607 times)

ows

  • Guest
16v into a MK2 Driver
« on: 18 April 2003, 13:00 »
Hey people,

After listening to some catchy garage tunes my bro gave me the exciting news that the driver is gonna be 16v'd in the not too distant future.

As bro knows about swapping engines in pugs but not not vw's we need some help please lol  ;D (bro says he'll rinse all vr6's that care to have a go - not twin engined ones tho  ;))

Anyway...we need to know basically all the problems etc that go with swapping the engines over, any advice is welcomed and wiring diagrams (rich i think you are the man for this...)

But i think the days of twitting about in a reliable but underpowered car are numbered

Thanks all

Look forward to hearing what you all have to say

Cheers

Ows
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

ows

  • Guest
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2003, 13:07 »
soz also quick thoughts..

are there any particular engines that are desirable or to be avoided? and does the exhaust system have to be modified severly?

thanks

Ows
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline richandhazel

  • Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 4,428
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2003, 14:34 »
Hi Ows,
Have a chat with 'jhirst', he recently did this with a Mk1 and should be able to help you. As for wiring diagrams, have a look here:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richandhazel1/Wiring%20Diagrams/Wiring%20Diagrams.htm

You'll find a list of all the wiring diagrams that I have. The two in the bolder 'comic sans' font are active links, just let me know if you want any others made active..........obviously can't do them all as I will excede my webspace limit......which I'm sure I already have, but it still seems to allow me to upload  :-/
Maybe I'm going to get a big bill this month. ???
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline harr1s

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 90
  • mk1 caddy and mk2 gti owner
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2003, 22:43 »
      hello there..          

                dont think im being funny ows as i havent been around for a while so i might have missed something but wouldnt it be easeier to get hold of a cheep 16 v  insteed of doing the engine swap



 Harr1s........... ??? ???
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

ows

  • Guest
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2003, 00:40 »
Yea it was pretty much my school of thought too harris, but ive just got attached to my mk2 and want her to grow up with me lol  :)

As people have told me the conversion is pretty hard work....

Cheers

Ows
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline lemski

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,017
  • 16v
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2010, 08:57 »
I've done this conversion. Swap the rear axles and then front subframes. End engine loom if there the same spec. Its simple if you know about it

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2010, 09:46 »
if you gonna do it, do it with a 2.0 16v. no point going to all that effort just to recreate a std mk2 16v when you could just buy one. and if you're going 2.0 16v, do it with an abf, and also fit it using the complete abf management. k-jet has had its day, it does work but the problem is getting good bits to make it work.  abf bits are easily findable, and you can get all the fueling bits you need from mk3 golfs. when was the last time you saw a k-jet mk2 in the scrappy, with a good fuel pump and lines? mk3s are common in scrappies now.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2010, 11:11 »
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!!!

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2010, 11:50 »
haha oh yeah didnt notice that  :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: 16v into a MK2 Driver
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2010, 14:39 »
I got myself a scrap 5dr 16v for 250quid. Bought an abf lump for 300 and ran it on the kjet. At least u know uve got every part for the conversion, cos its come off a mk2. Plus u can sell any left overs to re-coup some money. Or find urself a mk3 16v, if ur mk2 is a late 1 the wiring shouldn't be 2 hard, but ull have to use the mk3 box and hydro clutch etc, whereas slingin mk2 bits on the abf is easy and u jus use the mk2 clutch setup etc etc. Upto u. My kjet works alrite, tho if I went bk and did it again I think I'd def try it on the mk3 digi management