Author Topic: Seeking Mk1 Enthusiasts in the Hampshire/Surrey/Berkshire Area  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Rich - your doing a great job mate....! fueling issues are the worst for Mk1's, but you've covered all the area's, you might want to make sure the timing is set-up correctly, sounds like its out by a tooth and dizzy needs adjusting, but I know your on the case! Keep the great work up and get working on your mk1 soon ;) 

Make sure you get picture up of this mk1 your working on...  :smiley: with the approval of the owner of course!
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Rich - your doing a great job mate....! fueling issues are the worst for Mk1's, but you've covered all the area's, you might want to make sure the timing is set-up correctly, sounds like its out by a tooth and dizzy needs adjusting, but I know your on the case! Keep the great work up and get working on your mk1 soon ;) 

Make sure you get picture up of this mk1 your working on...  :smiley: with the approval of the owner of course!

Cheers mate. I think I've covered most of the fuel side of it. Unfortunately a friend I leant it to broke my CO meter so I can't check that, but I think you could be right with the timing. My next step was going to be to  pull the plugs, cap etc., and make sure they're ok and then check the ignition timing.

I have to find my charger for the camera..........god knows what I have done with it but the camera is flat so I'll have to find it.

Offline Domma

• Just got here
Rich,

I'll keep an eye out for you! My Mk1 is laid up on the front lawn currently so i'm in the Celica or the wifes rather Purple A class. :sick: It comes in handy when you forgot where you parked, only ever one in the car park!!

Do you work on all these cars for a hobby or are you a full on mechanic?  You definatly know your way round a MK1 by what i've read so far.

My Accumilator was so manky when i came to restore it sombody suggested i get one from a later newer 16V as they though they were the same. Don't know if this is true. Do you know of a good source of replacing the hard fuel lines locally for the MK1. I have the ones off the GTi in the garage but n eed to remake them as the connettions are unrecognizable.

I think i may learn alot more about the setting up of the K-Jet when i bolt all the new stuff back together in the future. you may be hearing from me!!!

Infact i know you will!!

Cheers   Domma...

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Rich,

I'll keep an eye out for you! My Mk1 is laid up on the front lawn currently so i'm in the Celica or the wifes rather Purple A class. :sick: It comes in handy when you forgot where you parked, only ever one in the car park!!

Do you work on all these cars for a hobby or are you a full on mechanic?  You definatly know your way round a MK1 by what i've read so far.

My Accumilator was so manky when i came to restore it sombody suggested i get one from a later newer 16V as they though they were the same. Don't know if this is true. Do you know of a good source of replacing the hard fuel lines locally for the MK1. I have the ones off the GTi in the garage but n eed to remake them as the connettions are unrecognizable.

I think i may learn alot more about the setting up of the K-Jet when i bolt all the new stuff back together in the future. you may be hearing from me!!!

Infact i know you will!!

Cheers   Domma...

Here are some useful links to understand the K-jet more....

http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm

Pipes - http://www.automec.co.uk/ & http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Rich,

Infact i know you will!!

Cheers   Domma...

I'm an aircraft engineer working permenant nights. During the day I do loads of car work for the locals. Nice to get the odd VW-Audi through but these days I've got just about everything coming through.
I need to finish this one on Thursday as I'm supposed to be starting a Peugeot 306 diesel head gasket straight afterwards.

I've worked a lot with the k-jet system and also have some very useful resourses, including the one's that Si has posted above.

As for the pipes, I haven't had to replace mine...........yet! But what I was looking to do was to use some plastic ones from a mk2. I have a couple of sets in the shed so hopefully I can come up with something as and when the need arises.

Offline Domma

• Just got here
Cheers guys,

I have the link for the K-Jet also!!  Not the other though so cheers for that.

I had seen that blue plastic pipe on a mates Corraddo but did'nt know if it was high pressure. Not sure on how to get the correct fittings to suit the ends either.

Not at the top of my to do list so i can sit on that one for a bit longer.

Ta  Domma......

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
You're quite local to me, I live in Bracknell :)
I have a gunsons pro digital CO meter which works well for me if you want to borrow it :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Cheers. I've got it running really well now. The ignition timing was way too retarded. Brought it back to TDC and the idle came up to 1700rpm!
Took it for a spin yesterday :smiley: :smiley: :cool: :cool: About time I taxed the cabrio I reckon...........Much more fun than the TDI.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
nice1, you'll prob need to get the co set now ;)  Oh I also have a timing light with built in rpm meter too!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
nice1, you'll prob need to get the co set now ;)  Oh I also have a timing light with built in rpm meter too!

Yep me too, exactly what I used yesterday. She's running well now and Victoria is on her way to pick it up :smiley: