Author Topic: Surface rust treatment  (Read 783 times)

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
Surface rust treatment
« on: 24 May 2024, 15:26 »
Hi all,

Not a gti, nor is it even a golf, but I'm getting some surface rust under the front of my Beetle - what would you recommend to sort this? I have some spare matching paint. It's not visible unless you get under the car.

I'm thinking I need to sand off the surface rust, treat with something and then paint over the top (either java green or just something like black hammerite).

Suggestions welcome!

2017 mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual
1991 T25 Camper
1967 Beetle 1500

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Surface rust treatment
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2024, 10:15 »
The car looks really good. As you suggest you need to remove most of the rust first by sanding making sure any rust under the paint is also removed and then treat with rust remover such as jenolite - follow the instruction. If using java green the you will need primer etc first. Hammerite be used directly after treatment remembering to spray on several coats - at least 3.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Surface rust treatment
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2024, 18:31 »
I use a wire wheel on the grinder to remove the rust. I really rate Bilt Hamber products. Use their hydrate 80 (rust converter) after cleaning. Then electrox zinc followed by their epoxy.
The other product i use a lot and rate is Novol protect.