Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 709 times)

Offline neiln20

• Just got here
« on: 23 May 2024, 21:30 »
Hi All,

Having a Mk7.5 gti a few years ago i have always missed the gti and am finally looking to come back in the form of a Mk8. I’ve been searching the VW used stock list and am finding that most didn’t come factory specced with a reversing camera or the winter pack.

I know the reversing camera can be retro fitted, but how many of you have the winter pack / is there is need for it given the seats are cloth.

All my previous cars for as long as i can remember have had heated seats (even my Mk 7.5) but talking to a few dealers they have said that its not needed hence a lot didn’t come specced from factory.

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2024, 21:47 »
“Not needed”  :grin: Says who? Typical main dealer salesman guff.

The heated seats are a great feature, I wouldn’t be without them. I expect retrofitting them is not a straightforward task. They do come with a heated wheel as standard though, oddly.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2024, 21:48 »
It's not in their interests to tell you heated seats are needed as they will be wanting you to buy one of the cars they have.

Only you can decide if you need them or not.

I've had heated seats in my last two cars. Over the past few weeks they weren't needed, but yesterday and today I was pleased I had them.
7.5 GTD

Offline Yorkshire gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2024, 21:52 »
I have the winter pack and reversing camera and wouldn’t be without either of them. This damp, cold winter/ Spring has been never ending and it’s been so good to have the heated steering wheel etc.
MK 8 2021 Kings Red GTI
MK 7 2015  White GTI PP

Offline The_Doc

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2024, 01:55 »
@JoeGTI the reason for the heated wheel is apparently that the wheel contact sensor for the travel assist doesn’t work well in the cold without it, or so I was told by a mechanic anyway.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2024, 07:39 »
I am now on my 3rd GTI a mk8.

My first was mk6 (heated seats) second 7.5 GTI performance (heated seats,dynamic chassis, winterpack, rev camera)
Current car as winterpack,no rev camera,pan roof.
Adelaides sport suspension.

I wouldn't buy a car any more without heated seats tbh.
I do miss the rev camera thou but would not swop pan roof it thou  :grin:

Mk8, despite what some say about tech is a better all round car than the 7.5. Performance imo.

Build quality may not be quite as good but overall much nicer place to be.

Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2024, 14:32 »
Have had cars with heated seats and not used them much - usually burn my backside after a few minutes.... :laugh:

You say your previous cars have had them so you must have an idea how much you used them. Depends I suppose on how many cold, early starts you have and where in the country (how far north) you live.

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2024, 15:43 »
Im on my second MK8 GTI Both have been standard equipment. didnt really feel the need for any extras. The one i traded was a good one with all issues sorted, and only done 11000 miles, in Moonstone on a 21plate. Its at Vertu VW Mansfield if you are interested?

Offline neiln20

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2024, 16:30 »
Have had cars with heated seats and not used them much - usually burn my backside after a few minutes.... :laugh:

You say your previous cars have had them so you must have an idea how much you used them. Depends I suppose on how many cold, early starts you have and where in the country (how far north) you live.

i do use them and the comments on there have re-inforced i will need them on my gti.

Offline neiln20

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2024, 16:31 »
Im on my second MK8 GTI Both have been standard equipment. didnt really feel the need for any extras. The one i traded was a good one with all issues sorted, and only done 11000 miles, in Moonstone on a 21plate. Its at Vertu VW Mansfield if you are interested?

sounds good, but im set on getting a white one. My Mk7.5 was white and i think with the red accents and polished wheels it looks good (imo)