Author Topic: GTI or R?  (Read 988 times)

Offline japes1275

• Just got here
GTI or R?
« on: 12 May 2024, 20:44 »
I’m thinking of getting a Mk7.5 R or GTI Performance and wonder if anyone who has had both can offer any advice on which might be more suitable. The R is obviously a lot quicker but the only thing I have to go off on paper is the 0-60 time and obviously 4WD is going to help massively with that. Is the GTI noticeably slower or once on the move does it feel similar? I’ve always thought the GTI to be the better choice as it’s what a hot hatch is all about but part of me thinks that after a while I might wish I’d gone for the R! I’ve test driven an R and an older GTI but it’s very difficult to get a true picture on a 20 minute drive when most of it is in town traffic near the dealer!
My driving style is mostly ‘mature’ but I want something that I can live with every day and also have some fun with on a twisty B road. I currently have a 7.5 with a GTD engine and although it’s reasonably quick it’s not really got the punch I’d like and the the dull drone from the diesel grates after a while!!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: GTI or R?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2024, 20:48 »
Would a TCR be in budget? R engine, GTI chassis with some nice upgrades.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline japes1275

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2024, 21:32 »
Actually I was just looking at the TCR reviews just before I posted, the firmer suspension, 19” wheels and lower splitter etc put me off. I saw one at the dealer and it is a nice looking car but probably a bit too extreme for me. I’d also have to get a higher mileage one to be anywhere near my budget so another downside. Look very nice in grey though!!

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2024, 07:24 »
We have a GTI PP, with manual gearbox. Whilst most of the time it feels fast enough it has caught me out a couple of times when overtaking, when it didn't have as much power at the top of the rev and speed range as it does at the bottom.

If buying another Golf I would go with the R no question, that is before factoring in the better traction.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2024, 10:22 »
it didn't have as much power at the top of the rev and speed range as it does at the bottom.

This was one of the main reasons I swapped from a PP to a TCR. The PP was great most of the time but runs out of puff just as it gets exciting. The TCR/R engine is brilliant.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2024, 10:46 »
Had a 66 plate MK 7 R for 3 years, then a 69 Plate TCR for 3 years, and our second car is now a MK 7.5 2019 R and can safely say from that experience, that they are all just different flavours of very good, with no decision for any being wrong.

The original R had the 6 speed DSG, the facelift has the 7 speed DSG, which seem to allow better ratio for Race, and so was more drivable on local roads in that setting (MK 7 hung onto gears too long) Aside from that, the drive of early and facelift R is pretty comparable. The Facelift R has the digital display and upgraded media and is overall better package than the MK 7, but its not a chasm, and anyone would be pretty much equally happy in a MK 7/7.5

The TCR has 290 BHP, so you get all the grunt of the R, it does not run out of puff as was mentioned, it just keeps pulling, and though there is some slippage at extreme pull aways, the TCR brilliantly handles that extra power, and its a fast, agile experience from being FWD and lighter overall. Mine had the performance pack with the DCC, and comfort was too soft, it pretty much stayed in normal. TCR is a great car to drive, and if the prices were not so premium I would have one in a heartbeat when my own BMW 128Ti goes back next year.

However, for £4-5k less, you can get a similarly specced, mileage Golf R and with the extra power, and AWD, you are really getting more of a car.

As stated, its different flavours of great, the lighter more agile TCR with a little bit of liveliness on front end, or the rapid, assured, on rails experience R gives you. Shame cannot have both, and switch on mood (if enough ££'s are available, I might be in that position)

At time, my heart would say, get the TCR, you know you loved it, my logic will say, save a few thousand and get the ultimate Golf experience of an R (Likely look for 3 door to be different to what already have)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2024, 10:50 »
Actually I was just looking at the TCR reviews just before I posted, the firmer suspension, 19” wheels and lower splitter etc put me off. I saw one at the dealer and it is a nice looking car but probably a bit too extreme for me. I’d also have to get a higher mileage one to be anywhere near my budget so another downside. Look very nice in grey though!!

The firm suspension talk is more that, than reality, had DCC on my GTD, R, TCR all on 19" and my present MK 7.5 R has standard suspension and is completely compliant and would say a performance pack TCR was too cossetted in comfort, normal was an amazing ride setting, perfect even.

The rear splitter is not for everyone, but personally loved its rear, with the Akrapovic and subtle boot lip spoiler. (added same boot lip spoiler to my R loved it so much)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2024, 12:25 »
If I get another Golf to go with the GTI, it will be an R with a manual gearbox and a clutch upgrade done.

I prefer manuals to auto and dual clutch as they are more engaging IMO.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2024, 13:06 »
My posts can usually waffle on for pages without really saying much so I’ll keep it brief, mostly because it’s lunchtime and I need food!

GTI pros: much better looks, lighter feeling chassis, compliant ride, better on fuel, turbo spools at usefully lower revs preventing the DSG being caught in an off boost hole more often when driving maturely.

GTI cons: as previously mentioned, it’s a lovely torquey motor but can run out of puff like a GTD, however the DSG can offset that more than a manual as the former will change up and hit you with another slug of boost.
Wheelspin on occasion when driving less maturely.

R pros: much more revvy engine encouraging you to drive less maturely. The propshaft running between the axles gives the bodyshell a more rigid feel. Traction, obviously. Understated looks preferred by some.

R cons: every dual motor Tesla taxi driver wants to annihilate you at the traffic lights.
Looks a bit boring, especially inside.
30% worse on fuel than a GTD.
Engine can be caught off boost when driving maturely.

Conclusion: the R will feel more of a step up from a GTD

Lunchtime for me…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2024, 15:02 »
For me the ar is a super capable, competent and rapid hatch.  Very quick point to point. All the time. Rain or shine. A comfy ,classy refined and safe way to transport your loved ones about in too. Makes lots of sense.  This can matter to the older amongst us.

The GTIhas the fizz, playfulness and fun character.  Feels it’s helping you, encouraging you to drive with a bit of flair.  Adds some excitement for some. The R just does it - and is seen as boring, dull, unexciting because of this.

A hard choice   But there’s no bad or wrong choice - just what, suits your needs best.  Good luck agonising.
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps