Author Topic: Windscreen MK8  (Read 794 times)

Offline Lenny

• Just got here
Windscreen MK8
« on: 09 November 2023, 23:12 »
Just noticed recently that when driving my Clubsport 45 in certain lighting conditions particularly when the sun is shining directly onto the windscreen it appears as if the windscreen has been sand blasted, tried cleaning it with Autoglym glass cleaner and also tried Meguiars glass polish but neither made any difference, The glass feels perfect to the touch and I cannot see any blemishes on the windscreen when the sun is not shining directly onto it, has anyone experienced this and is there any resolution to this problem other than replacing the windscreen?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Windscreen MK8
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2023, 13:57 »
My 7.5 is the same. I contacted whichever company supplies them and they couldn't help. In the end I decontaminated the screen and polished it. No idea if that helped though as the screen had to be replaced soon after. The new one is the same.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Windscreen MK8
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2023, 15:34 »
The windscreens in the last three VW’s I’ve owned have all been like that.

I found that thoroughly cleaning the screen (particularly the inside of the glass) helped, but didn’t remove the ‘sparkly’ effect entirely. As @Lenny has said, it’s noticeable in low sunlight. I also found it noticeable under certain types of street lighting after dark.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl