Author Topic: Wheel balance weights  (Read 1223 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Wheel balance weights
« on: 23 July 2023, 14:05 »
In march I had two Belvederes replaced under warranty and yesterday I got the all season Michelins put back on. No marks or scuffs so happy happy. Noticed when putting them back in bags for storage that one of them has 70g of weight on the inside and 10g on the outside. I know the machine tells you where to put the weights but I'm tempted to take it back and ask them to rotate the wheel and rebalance to hopefully have less weight. On another note the tyre fitter said I should be running the all seasons at 41psi as he noticed the inside of one of them appeared to have sidewall damage. Bit strange considering both tyres that were refitted were from the same set originally.
My question is does 70g appear to much weight?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Wheel balance weights
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2023, 14:54 »
If the wheel is off the car then take the weights off yourself and just get them to balance it, would make you look less pedantic.

Separate note, are the tyres new? It can take a few heat cycles to get tyres to mould back into their own shape, so does no harm to rebalance them after anyway.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2023, 15:25 »
If the wheel is off the car then take the weights off yourself and just get them to balance it, would make you look less pedantic.

Separate note, are the tyres new? It can take a few heat cycles to get tyres to mould back into their own shape, so does no harm to rebalance them after anyway.
tyre was refitted yesterday. If I just take the weights off and ask them to rebalance it'll put 70g back on. Tyre needs rotating.

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2023, 00:01 »
Dunno if of any help / interest, but I bought a set of wheels / Tyres which were Roadforce balanced. Seemed just perfect imho.
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2023, 08:04 »
Got a place not far from me that has a Road force balancer 👍