Author Topic: MK8 GTI Grinding Noise from Right Driver Side  (Read 3809 times)

Offline mcchan723

• Just got here
MK8 GTI Grinding Noise from Right Driver Side
« on: 13 June 2023, 16:12 »
I got this brand new MK8 GTI on 7 June 2023 and completely normal on highway, and smooth road no matter in high speed corner or low speed corner. Except on bumpy road as the videos I uploaded in google drive. Have a look if interested.
Dealer already had a check and said the car still in run-in period so nothing useful recommendation. But I don't found this is normal.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1H4PAevN6h_rDWaPKq9JiKzbW9i35T60Z?usp=sharing

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MK8 GTI Grinding Noise from Right Driver Side
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2023, 20:29 »
Yup, thats the noise mine makes - its when you corner and the suspension unloads.

My dealer can't hear it and can't see anything wrong.

Sounds metal on metal to me!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2023, 22:00 »
Yup, thats the noise mine makes - its when you corner and the suspension unloads.

Mine makes this noise on certain bends on a route I take regularly, I believe it is the ABS briefly kicking in, it does it wet or dry, but always at the same point of the same two bends I drive through, I haven’t done so yet, but to confirm my suspicion, I intend to hook up VCDS and watch the live data of the ABS module when it does it.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline mcchan723

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2023, 00:05 »

Mine makes this noise on certain bends on a route I take regularly, I believe it is the ABS briefly kicking in, it does it wet or dry, but always at the same point of the same two bends I drive through, I haven’t done so yet, but to confirm my suspicion, I intend to hook up VCDS and watch the live data of the ABS module when it does it.

Yes, it is road specific, by far I only have this noise in this route. I had a test drive with the dealer once in other route and they couldn’t replicate the noise. How long did you experienced this noise?

I also found that yesterday the noise would kick in two consecutive times after the engine start for few minutes. But the noise is relatively mild.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2023, 10:29 »
This noise is definitely the ABS working without pedal input, probably the XDS system operating, if you get up to speed and lightly rest your foot on the brake pedal at the usual place your car makes the noise, you’ll feel the ABS ‘buzz’ through the pedal when the noise occurs.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2023, 20:42 »
Could be vdm related?

I wonder if you set the esc to off it would do it still?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcchan723

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2023, 16:25 »
This noise is definitely the ABS working without pedal input, probably the XDS system operating, if you get up to speed and lightly rest your foot on the brake pedal at the usual place your car makes the noise, you’ll feel the ABS ‘buzz’ through the pedal when the noise occurs.

Thank you for sharing. I tried in parking lot and I can feel the "buzz" from the break pedal and heard the noise kicked in once during the first circle after start only. After than just "buzz" without any noise. Anyway I will ask the dealer to check about the ABS specifically.

Offline mcchan723

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2023, 13:28 »
Could be vdm related?

I tried to drive thru the same route with the ESC off today and the noise disappeared. 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2023, 17:20 »
Could be vdm related?

I tried to drive thru the same route with the ESC off today and the noise disappeared.

Thats interesting.

Did you try turning round and repeating the same piece of road with on and off a few times?

Offline mcchan723

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2023, 14:34 »
Could be vdm related?

Thats interesting.

Did you try turning round and repeating the same piece of road with on and off a few times?

Yes.