Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 33614 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #320 on: 13 December 2023, 09:18 »
My replacement 5F took two and a half months to arrive with the dealer.... just saying...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #321 on: 13 December 2023, 10:22 »
My replacement 5F took two and a half months to arrive with the dealer.... just saying...
They called this morning and have an ‘estimated’ delivery date of 19/12, so 6 days. Hopefully that is the case.

Out of interest, what does the 5G replace, the whole infotainment unit or just the components within?

They also hope to have my loan car organised for this afternoon, a VW Taigo.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #322 on: 13 December 2023, 12:12 »
They called this morning and have an ‘estimated’ delivery date of 19/12, so 6 days. Hopefully that is the case.

Out of interest, what does the 5G replace, the whole infotainment unit or just the components within?

Whether it’s the whole unit or just internal components, it’s sounds like it might be an expensive job. Hopefully your car’s still under warranty so it’ll be VW footing the bill.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #323 on: 13 December 2023, 12:48 »

Whether it’s the whole unit or just internal components, it’s sounds like it might be an expensive job. Hopefully your car’s still under warranty so it’ll be VW footing the bill.

Thankfully still under warranty  - until next May.  I would imagine it will be a hefty bill VW will be picking up.  Whether once fixed it remains in my ownership until then is s a different story.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #324 on: 13 December 2023, 17:33 »
Whether once fixed it remains in my ownership until then is s a different story.

What would be on the shortlist to replace the mk8?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #325 on: 13 December 2023, 21:18 »
The bill I saw was 3k for the 5f...parts only.

It's the computer box only.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #326 on: 13 December 2023, 22:49 »
Whether once fixed it remains in my ownership until then is s a different story.

What would be on the shortlist to replace the mk8?
I was looking at an M135i before I got this, so I could maybe take a look at that again.

I like the Golf though, so very much depends on what happens once the issue is fixed.

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #327 on: 13 December 2023, 22:57 »
The bill I saw was 3k for the 5f...parts only.

It's the computer box only.
Yeah, that’s the kind of cost I’ve seen quoted elsewhere. Absolutely ridiculous

I had a chat with the ‘master tech’ when I was in collecting my loan car, he said they had seen this issue before, but not very often.  Once the system goes into the loop mine was in, there is no way for them to reset/recover it.  He did say the cost of the fix wouldn’t even be on VW, they charge it to the company they got the part from.  The loan car also gets charged to them

The new part will come with the updated H58 hardware and version 1941 of the software will also be installed.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #328 on: 14 December 2023, 13:20 »

I was looking at an M135i before I got this, so I could maybe take a look at that again.

Not a bad shout, I ran one before the Clubsport.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #329 on: 14 December 2023, 18:21 »
I just gone a bit left field on my replacement for the bong machine. Lease is up in March so I’ve ordered a Volvo XC40 recharge twin ultimate spec. Looks like a small SUV but it does 0-60 in 4.4ish seconds lol. Drove one the other day, great interior and not a single bong to be heard.