Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34757 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #160 on: 27 March 2023, 16:25 »
Do I get a cap or t-shirt ?

The bonging hasn’t stopped. It now starts as soon as I hit the ignition button so it’s booked in tomorrow. No courtesy car available until May but I can’t live with that

Any colour.....as long as it's black and one size fits all.   :grin:

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #161 on: 27 March 2023, 17:38 »
 :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #162 on: 27 March 2023, 18:42 »
It’s annoying.. I’m a little away from changing my 7.5R and had been thinking of an 8R but I think I’ll go for something else now.

I knew there were issues on the 8 but when I googled it, I was amazed to see these happening across a huge range of VWs

Platform sharing across VAG brands will mean the same or very similar software to that in the mk8 Golf is used in many other current models built on the MQB platform.

I’m on seatcupra.net forum and many of the issues affecting the Golf also affect the Seat and Cupra Leon and the Cupra Formentor.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #163 on: 28 March 2023, 20:43 »
Diagnosed as needing a new steering wheel.

They reckon 3 weeks.. I reckon 2-3 months but who knows…

That's what they say to everyone but it hasn't worked for anyone on here as far as I know.  I'm on my original wheel and can't be bothered to try changing it
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #164 on: 28 March 2023, 22:34 »
I had a wheel swapped out on mine. Still binged. Touch wood, none on the Formentor, yet

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #165 on: 11 April 2023, 09:09 »
Just found your thread Exonian - posted my own the other day.

I'm in Team Bong since about October/November plus mine came with the winter benefit of heated steering wheel always on.  Booked in for mid-May with a courtesy car for 2 days to see if they can find the cause but they said steering wheels were the culprit when they'd had similar reported before.  Not sure how long the turnaround is for a replacement.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #166 on: 11 April 2023, 10:24 »

I'm in Team Bong since about October/November plus mine came with the winter benefit of heated steering wheel always on.  Booked in for mid-May with a courtesy car for 2 days to see if they can find the cause but they said steering wheels were the culprit when they'd had similar reported before.  Not sure how long the turnaround is for a replacement.

I get the feeling the 'Steering Wheel' is being used as a convenient excuse/scapegoat for any problem that they can't fix.  It wouldn't surprise me if they are taking cars in and returning them to customers without changing anything or maybe swapping the wheel of one problem car with another.   If they are genuinely fitting new steering wheels to cars where the Hell are they getting them and how much is it costing them?   It certainly isn't fixing anything!!
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #167 on: 11 April 2023, 11:15 »

I get the feeling the 'Steering Wheel' is being used as a convenient excuse/scapegoat for any problem that they can't fix.  It wouldn't surprise me if they are taking cars in and returning them to customers without changing anything or maybe swapping the wheel of one problem car with another.   If they are genuinely fitting new steering wheels to cars where the Hell are they getting them and how much is it costing them?   It certainly isn't fixing anything!!

I’ve read on some forums that the steering wheel fix doesn’t seem to be the solution in all cases;
(a) seems to work in some cases
or
(b) provides a temporary fix but the problem comes back after a while.

Agree that replacing all those steering wheels must be incredibly expensive. The quoted post below was posted over on vwroc.com last month by forum member speedjunkie which suggests the entire steering wheel may no longer be replaced - only certain components in the steering wheel;

’Just picked car up. He told me there has been an update to the recall for this “ping” issue and they no longer replace the entire steering wheel. It’s the inner triangle of touch controls (all the electrics and plastic basically). He showed me the photo of the document they had relating to this. It’s on back order and has orders going back to October as it’s a big issue’.

Maybe all those steering wheels that have been replaced are being recycled; VW then have the option of either fitting reconditioned steering wheels or just the faulty components in existing steering wheels in customers’ cars to help manage costs. I read a while back on another forum (apologies, can’t remember which forum), that reconditioned parts do get used under certain warranty claims - e.g. warranty claims such as replacement alloy wheels - so maybe this does happen. From personal experience I had some alloys replaced under warranty some years ago on a mk6 GTD because of white worm, and I rejected the ‘new’ replacements as they certainly didn’t look new and factory fresh (poor quality finish); more like a poor quality refurb.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline oryxgolfr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #168 on: 11 April 2023, 15:00 »
I am a week and a bit into CS45 ownership.  I get the SOS/Emergency assist bongs but only on initial start up.  Steering wheel is 4-6 weeks away but I spoke to another dealer today who said it will probably be components which are replaced rather than whole wheel....I'll have to wait and see.

I also get "error: dynamic cornering light"  Any idea how to fix other than dealer?

Edit - my previous May 21 MK8 Gti didn't bong for SOS/Emergency assist...it simply lost text and pictures on the home screen and the map screwed up when using apple/google maps.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2023, 15:11 by oryxgolfr »

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #169 on: 11 April 2023, 15:09 »
My new R is still silent one month in  :cool: