Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 33615 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #150 on: 18 March 2023, 06:29 »
All this talk of "Bong" reminds me of a 3 year long prank at work. Someone put a wireless door chime in the Packaging engineer's office and would press it once a day, sometime between 9am and 4pm. The Engineers could never pinpoint it because it would move frequently within the Office, which had a suspended ceiling and lots of potential hiding places. On the very last day of work (we had 3 years notice the place was closing and we were being made redundant), whoever it was rang the bell multiple times and it was found.

The Engineers at times had stripped out half the office, taken out most of the suspended ceiling tiles, etc. They even started a log with dates/times and tried to cross reference that against the shift patterns and absentee lists, but as it happened every day, more than 1 person must have been in on it. They never did find out who was actually behind the prank.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #151 on: 18 March 2023, 10:52 »
I’m assuming you were innocent MH? 😁

As a Born owner and ex-ID.3 you’ll appreciate this: yesterday evening an ID.3 proved to be a far better country sub-B road blaster than a 300PS GTI Clubsport. The ID had better acceleration, body control and manoeuvrability plus better suspension travel at those speeds. Arse, plate, handed to. Better driver than me too  :grin:
(main road was closed to had to go via the narrow lanes)

Today, 18th March (why do the Americans do the date weirdly?) is 5 years to the day the Beast from the East dropped a whole load of snow on me. I don’t often get snow where I live. A memorable day for many reasons.
5 years on and much milder spring weather, the bongs returned with a vengeance today. After five days of peace I nearly parked up and walked it was that bad.
It’s my father’s birthday today, I’ll drown my sorrows having a beer or three with him (only I probably won’t as I’ll likely end up driving him)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #152 on: 18 March 2023, 11:54 »
18 days in and a few hundred miles and still boing free. Maybe it's sorted on the new models as the salesman assured me?

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #153 on: 18 March 2023, 12:21 »
Jinx!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #154 on: 18 March 2023, 12:44 »
I’m assuming you were innocent MH? 😁

As a Born owner and ex-ID.3 you’ll appreciate this: yesterday evening an ID.3 proved to be a far better country sub-B road blaster than a 300PS GTI Clubsport. The ID had better acceleration, body control and manoeuvrability plus better suspension travel at those speeds. Arse, plate, handed to. Better driver than me too  :grin:
(main road was closed to had to go via the narrow lanes)

Today, 18th March (why do the Americans do the date weirdly?) is 5 years to the day the Beast from the East dropped a whole load of snow on me. I don’t often get snow where I live. A memorable day for many reasons.
5 years on and much milder spring weather, the bongs returned with a vengeance today. After five days of peace I nearly parked up and walked it was that bad.
It’s my father’s birthday today, I’ll drown my sorrows having a beer or three with him (only I probably won’t as I’ll likely end up driving him)

Wasn't me, but I have been complicit in a few pranks in the past, like nailgunning a colleague to a flat roof by his boiler suit (took a few of us to pin him down) - he did deserve it.

Must've been some driver to hand your arse to you in an ID3. The suspension is pretty forgiving, and the fat tyre sidewalls do also mop up the knocks. Could imagine going between 30 and 60 is going to be an advantage on a car with no gearbox and instant torque, even if its well down on power.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #155 on: 18 March 2023, 13:22 »
18 days in and a few hundred miles and still boing free. Maybe it's sorted on the new models as the salesman assured me?

To be fair, if I’d just spent the thick end of £50k on a brand new Golf and was faced with that cacophony I’d give them a month to sort it or a rejection would go in and I’d get something else (there’s a plethora of new AMG A35’s knocking around for less money) or get a bus pass.

Unfortunately mine didn’t get going until the car’s second birthday  :rolleyes:

Must've been some driver to hand your arse to you in an ID3. The suspension is pretty forgiving, and the fat tyre sidewalls do also mop up the knocks. Could imagine going between 30 and 60 is going to be an advantage on a car with no gearbox and instant torque, even if its well down on power.

This was no high speed wannabe-Evo mag roadtesters doing a cross country run, just a couple of yokels cutting through the back lane in sh!te weather going briskly but cautiously in case of standing water or another yokel buzzing through in the other direction with limited passing points.
The way the ID picked up speed from say 20mph up to around 40 or 50 and coped with the surface was impressive. The GTI was mostly off boost with the DSG napping.
The gulf in power is less than you’d think really as power quoted for the GTI is at the crank but the ID’s power would be less affected by transmission losses so closer to quoted power at the wheels where the GTI would be far less than 300PS at the wheels. Then stiffer lower slung suspension, turbo dead zones, DSG delays…

It was just an interesting experience watching him gain ground between the bends without either of us remotely pushing the cars. Real world performance.

On a different road a different story.

Also interesting was the ID guy was driving without his brake lights coming on despite the challenging country road which shows good EV control. The EV taxi I was following this morning had its brake lights coming on and off non stop which was as annoying as my bongs as it had huge brake lights which were very bright.
On off, on off, on off “bong, bong, bong” …
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #156 on: 18 March 2023, 16:04 »

To be fair, if I’d just spent the thick end of £50k on a brand new Golf and was faced with that cacophony I’d give them a month to sort it or a rejection would go in and I’d get something else (there’s a plethora of new AMG A35’s knocking around for less money) or get a bus pass.

Unfortunately mine didn’t get going until the car’s second birthday  :rolleyes:

This was no high speed wannabe-Evo mag roadtesters doing a cross country run, just a couple of yokels cutting through the back lane in sh!te weather going briskly but cautiously in case of standing water or another yokel buzzing through in the other direction with limited passing points.
The way the ID picked up speed from say 20mph up to around 40 or 50 and coped with the surface was impressive. The GTI was mostly off boost with the DSG napping.
The gulf in power is less than you’d think really as power quoted for the GTI is at the crank but the ID’s power would be less affected by transmission losses so closer to quoted power at the wheels where the GTI would be far less than 300PS at the wheels. Then stiffer lower slung suspension, turbo dead zones, DSG delays…

It was just an interesting experience watching him gain ground between the bends without either of us remotely pushing the cars. Real world performance.

On a different road a different story.

Also interesting was the ID guy was driving without his brake lights coming on despite the challenging country road which shows good EV control. The EV taxi I was following this morning had its brake lights coming on and off non stop which was as annoying as my bongs as it had huge brake lights which were very bright.
On off, on off, on off “bong, bong, bong” …

Yep, off boost with DSG in a high gear is going to get slaughtered by a car with no gears with max torque always available.

Despite lugging an extra 400kg, because of the much lower transmission losses, a 204ps 1800kg ID3 is going to have as  more at the wheels than a 1400kg Golf GTD.

If my Born had a 400 mile range on tge motorway in Winter and took 10 mins to add 75% charge, I would not be getting rid of it.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #157 on: 21 March 2023, 15:39 »
Today an additional bong.
A screw in a two week old PS4S triggered the tyre alert bong in the pitch black and pouring rain.
At least this one wasn’t spurious.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #158 on: 27 March 2023, 15:11 »
Oh bugger!

And err, welcome to the club  :sad:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #159 on: 27 March 2023, 15:27 »
Cap & T-shirt on back order just like the steering wheel they’ll be ordering for you…

In the meantime https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/ear-plugs/cat850382

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner