Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 33612 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #110 on: 01 March 2023, 11:35 »
Wasn’t the software in the current generation of VAG’s MQB and MEB based cars the first to be developed by Cariad? (Cariad is an automotive software company and a 100% subsidiary of VW group).

I read that the decision to move software development in-house was seen as a way to remove dependency on third party software houses and to help control costs. If so, then with the benefit of hindsight, maybe it wasn’t the smartest move.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #111 on: 01 March 2023, 11:55 »
Wasn’t the software in the current generation of VAG’s MQB and MEB based cars the first to be developed by Cariad? (Cariad is an automotive software company and a 100% subsidiary of VW group).

I read that the decision to move software development in-house was seen as a way to remove dependency on third party software houses and to help control costs. If so, then with the benefit of hindsight, maybe it wasn’t the smartest move.

Yes as far as I know, everything up until 3 ish years ago was developed by someone else, someone big like Panasonic or something but they moved it all internally and messed it up.
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #112 on: 01 March 2023, 12:20 »

Yes as far as I know, everything up until 3 ish years ago was developed by someone else, someone big like Panasonic or something but they moved it all internally and messed it up.

Apparently, some scheduled premium vehicle launches from Audi, Porsche and Bentley also had to be moved back because of software development delays. I understand that it was the Cariad software issues that cost previous VW CEO his job.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #113 on: 01 March 2023, 12:56 »
Software companies develop Software, Car manufacturers manufacture cars.
Adam Smith sussed this out in the 18th Century, basic concepts haven’t changed.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #114 on: 01 March 2023, 13:10 »
Adam Smith's lesson gets lost sometimes and car manufacturers couldn't resist the urge to do it themselves when they saw the bills from (and the profits being made by) software companies.   Greed is bad, in this case and most others.

Also should have paid the bucks to allow time for thorough development and testing.  Reputational damage will be severe.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #115 on: 01 March 2023, 13:18 »
Ive had the SOS message again this morning. Drove to work, turned the car off, started it back up and no SOS.
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #116 on: 01 March 2023, 13:44 »
Even though my dealer is just up the road, I can’t be bothered going through the process of being without a car for a day, for them to say, either nothings wrong, or a part needs to changed that’s on back order. So just putting up with the intermittent bongs.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #117 on: 01 March 2023, 22:19 »
Even though my dealer is just up the road, I can’t be bothered going through the process of being without a car for a day, for them to say, either nothings wrong, or a part needs to changed that’s on back order. So just putting up with the intermittent bongs.

At least get it logged with them in case you still own the car out of warranty.

Book it in, get a loan car, pick up yours later in the day and realise how much better your car is than the loan car…  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #118 on: 02 March 2023, 08:04 »

At least get it logged with them in case you still own the car out of warranty.

Book it in, get a loan car, pick up yours later in the day and realise how much better your car is than the loan car…  :smiley:

Nope, it will most likely be gone in the next few months. If not, I’ll extend the warranty. Spent ages looking at options to swap, and there’s nothing that offers similar performance, or  floats my boat for similar money,

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #119 on: 02 March 2023, 21:52 »
Options are indeed limited if you want something similar bhp/££££ but with working software.

Decent discounts on T-Roc R’s atm and A35 AMG’s but…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner