Author Topic: CS - Potential DSG issue - Advice Needed  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
CS - Potential DSG issue - Advice Needed
« on: 05 January 2023, 00:00 »
My ClubSport went in for the 'Selector Error' and subsequent 'Gearbox Error' issues towards the end of November. The issue was seemingly resolved after a bit of a wait for the part.

Upon leaving the dealership, I noticed that the box would shift gears, whilst In Sport but driving casually, at ever so slightly higher revs than before. A touch past 3k rather than bang on 3k, the way it used to. I didn't think too much of it but knew that something felt off and I began paying more attention and was feeling like the box was slightly more....'hesitant' than before, but wasn't sure if it was just me imagining it.

A week or so after, I was in sport and put my foot flat, going up a motorway slip road. The car accelerated fine but, as it got to the top of second gear, the car dropped revs for half a second just before it was supposed to auto-shift into third. The only way I can describe it is, it was like the box got to the point where it was supposed to select third, then couldn't make its mind up if it was supposed to, then decided it had to. Physically, it almost felt as if it hit the red line, dropped revs momentarily as it bounced off the redline, but it did this before the box auto-shifted, as it's supposed to.

Obviously it freaked me out a bit and I went back to cruising to work. The following day, I tried to recreate it and it did it from second into third and then again going into fourth. Both times, no errors, bongs or any other indication that something is wrong but there clearly is.

So I booked it in to Inchcape and asked for a tech to be able to come out with me on arrival. Sods law, it was lashing it down with rain and the tech could only go as far as the 40mph road that runs past the dealership, so I was unable to recreate the issue. They had a look yesterday and I received a call saying they found no fault codes that show an error. They also said that it may just be the box "getting used to my driving" following the selector part replacement, which I don't buy. They also went on to say that, even if I could recreate the issue with a tech in the car, which I insisted happen, they still can't do anything without a fault code.

Obviously, I understand that, without them being able to find a code, they are kinda tied up with what they can do, but there is 100% something wrong and it definitely wasn't present before the selector issue.

I am by no means close to being a mechanic but, one notion I had is that, during the selector issue being fixed, the gearbox map had been affected...? Or maybe the map for the 245 GTI had been applied, rather than the ClubSport one, which I believe is different. But yeah, I could be chatting complete balls there and the selector fix would have nothing to do with the map whatsoever.

So I come to you good folks for advice. Firstly, if anyone has a ClubSport that had the selector fix and has a similar issue they can recreate, that would be a potential step forward.

Secondly, if anyone a bit more savvy than me has an idea of what could potentially be happening, then that may help.

And finally, where do I go from here if, even with a tech in the car and the issue being recreated, they have no fault code and therefore won't acknowledge there is a problem? Between that and the fact that the issue only presents itself at the top of the rev counter, during hard acceleration, I can't help but feel a bit like I am going to be left stranded....even though it's a performance car and the cost should justify me getting the full performance, regardless, right?

Here's hoping!

Brocky
« Last Edit: 05 January 2023, 00:28 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: CS - Potential DSG issue - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2023, 03:37 »
I don’t know what the issue could be, but did they carry out an adaptation reset on the gearbox before returning it? My guess (and hope) would be that they did, if not then ask that they do so, or have someone with VCDS/OBD11 do it if the the dealership won't for any reason, if you do have a third party do the reset, be sure that they fully understand how to do so correctly, as there are several prerequisites that must be met before a successful adaptation can be achieved, can I ask which Inchcape dealership you use?
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2023, 13:28 »
There are two sorts of adaptation resets.... one is a simple one and one is all about the mechanical setup of the gearbox.... the latter is the one done with VCDS and is really for someone who knows what they are doing:

"There is a process called "adaptation" which essentially alters or resets the basic gear shift settings on a mechatronics unit. Here, the engineers try out a series of pre-programmed settings for creep, rpm calibration etc with a road test in various conditions, that beds in the gearbox to real-world conditions. Most of the cases, this adaption is carried out on new or replaced units."
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2023, 07:02 »
Thanks, both.

I spoke to someone in Service yesterday and he has arranged for me to go in this morning, take the car to the motorway with a tech and recreate it. I asked about the adaptation and he said that it had been done, as it's a standard part of the process with most things gear-related - though I hadn't read your post, Fred, at that time. This chap did seem to be of the opinion that, if it can be replicated with a tech on-board, even if there's no fault code, that it will still be followed up, which left me a bit more reassured than previously.

Here's hoping that the car behaves and doesn't decide to shift properly whilst on the test-drive with the tech!  :grin:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2023, 11:55 »
Sod's Law strikes again!

I couldn't get it to do it on my run up the motorway on-slip. It was a little wet and the traction control was trying to do it's thing, so I think that was a factor. Couldn't believe it, though. I was certain it would do it with me driving. The tech was sound and said that he would still pass the issue on to 'Technical' which, from what I understand, means he will send a global query out to see if there have been any other reports in a similar vein.

However, whilst driving home, I went to the petrol station and when I started the car again I got a 'Gearbox Error - You can drive on' error pop up. No accompanying 'Selector Error' this time but I have never been so happy to hear an error bong in my time owning the car. At least they have grounds to investigate further now.

Have left a message and I'm just waiting on a call-back so that I can give them the news, though, I anticipate that I am likely looking at another 3-4 week wait, as I will need a loan car.   :rolleyes:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport