Author Topic: Paint Protection  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
Paint Protection
« on: 01 February 2021, 23:03 »
What do you guys, whom have ordered or have previously been in receipt of a brand new GTI, do with regards to paint protection?

I only ever purchased one new car before and got the "Supaguard" thrown in for free. It was a disaster as the monkey who applied it didn't manage to do every panel and there were still superficial scratches in the paint.

My dealer tried to offer me "GuardX" for €500 which I shot down immediately. I told him I was gonna get it ceramic coated so that he didn't try push it on me.

So what do you guys see as the minimum requirement for brand new paint?
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Paint Protection
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2021, 23:20 »
I've got gtechniq stuff on mine, the one with the 9yr guarantee, can't remember what it's called now. Absolute doodle to wash 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2021, 23:21 »
I've got gtechniq stuff on mine, the one with the 9yr guarantee, can't remember what it's called now. Absolute doodle to wash 👍

Did you get any paint correction done or is that included in the process?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2021, 23:24 »

it was brand new so didn't anything fortunately. It's crystal serum ultra, just checked. Detailer applied and he said paintwork was spot on. Not bad considering it sat at Emden for weeks on end  :grin:

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2021, 23:38 »

it was brand new so didn't anything fortunately. It's crystal serum ultra, just checked. Detailer applied and he said paintwork was spot on. Not bad considering it sat at Emden for weeks on end  :grin:

Ah sound. Some places recommend fallout removal, clay bar etc on new car due to all the contaminants picked up during transportation...the prices of the "same" service appears to vary wildly so I'll check it out locally for recommended places.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2021, 23:45 »

Ah sound. Some places recommend fallout removal, clay bar etc on new car due to all the contaminants picked up during transportation...the prices of the "same" service appears to vary wildly so I'll check it out locally for recommended places.

Well it will definitely need that at a minimum - fall out remover / tar / glue remover. Every new car will have lots of iron / tar / glue spots but that stuff removes them easily. It’s an easy DIY thing to do tbh. But I’d be surprised if the dealer monkeys would bother.  They’ll just slap that “life shine” crap on it after the brush wash !!

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2021, 23:55 »
@Maximusbiggus; I always decline the dealer-applied paint protection, because as you’ve found previously, the dealer doesn’t have the experience - nor do they devote sufficient time - to do it properly.

Even with a new car, before any form of paint protection is applied, the car should be decontaminated to remove tar, glue and iron deposits, the paintwork then examined for defects and if there are any, remove them by polishing. Depending on the overall condition of the paintwork, it might be necessary for a single stage machine polish to be done before applying the paint protection of choice.

Will the dealer do any of the prep and defect correction? Not a chance! A professional detailer will go through all of these stages after they’ve carried out pre-wash, safe wash and safe drying stages and all in, it’ll probably take around around 1.5 - 2 days to prep the car and apply the paint treatment (including curing time). The VW dealer at most will spend 1.5 - 2 hours to single bucket wash the car (with a gritty sponge) and apply Lifeshine or GuardX on top of the paint with contaminants embedded in it. I wouldn’t ever let the dealer apply paint protection to my car, even if they did it for free. I certainly wouldn’t pay €500; you could get a professional detailer to do a much better job for less money. I also make sure the dealer doesn’t wash my car when it goes back to the dealership for servicing.

I do my own new car prep because I enjoy doing it. It probably takes me a couple of days. I’m still old school and use a wax or synthetic wax rather than a ceramic coating on the paintwork and wheels, which I then top up when it’s needed.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2021, 00:01 »
Is this - https://car-valet.ie/new-car-protection/ - too cheap to be any use?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2021, 09:49 »
Is this - https://car-valet.ie/new-car-protection/ - too cheap to be any use?

It does seem ‘good value’, although if they’re mobile only - website states ‘we come to you’ - they won’t have the overheads of a detailer with a purpose built / equipped premises, so they’d be able to reflect this in their prices.

I’ve not used a professional detailer before or a ceramic sealant or coating, but I believe some of these require a number of hours to cure if the product is to be fully effective. Many detailers with a premises will leave the product on the car to cure overnight, and being undercover indoors, the car won’t be exposed to atmospheric fallout (dust, tree sap, bird droppings etc.) as it would be with a mobile operation. Also, with the mobile process being completed with 6-9 hours, if a long curing time for the product is required, then with a total treatment time of 6-9 hours from start to finish, would they durability and longevity of product be compromised?

When I’ve detailed my own car and given it the ‘full works’ (just the exterior), it usually takes me 15-20 hours from start to finish - dirty car to fully detailed, including machine polish - spread over three days (I’ve got a garage, so can put the car under cover overnight to keep it clean). 6-9 hours does sound quite quick for a full new car protection process, especially as it also includes the interior and wheels (presumably not a ‘wheels off’ job on the wheels? - it’d probably take me a couple of hours on the wheels alone). Maybe they send a team of 2-3 people to be able to turn around a new car treatment in 6-9 hours.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2021, 10:20 »
Just to confirm when I said it didn't need anything doing I was talking about correction work. It obviously had tar,glue, fallout remover done. I asked the dealership to leave all the stickers etc on the car as my detailer would be doing everything 👍