Author Topic: Damp smell  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Damp smell
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2021, 19:28 »
Have you checked for water / dampness under the spare wheel in the boot ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2021, 19:57 »
Just found this thread. Neighbour has the problem of water pooling under one of the rear doors that trickles into the rear when the door is opened. Looks like this may be the solution so thanks for he info.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Online Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2021, 22:20 »
All feels dry to the touch has me puzzled. Does anyone else notice water droplets on sills when open doors is it normal? Think send for valet an hope for best?
Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2021, 00:02 »
All feels dry to the touch has me puzzled. Does anyone else notice water droplets on sills when open doors is it normal? Think send for valet an hope for best?
What’s a valet going to achieve ? When you said you sealed the rear speakers did you remove the speakers or did you just seal them in place ? The speaker seals can also leak in the front door cards. Did you check the pollen filter and housing. ?
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Online Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2021, 07:05 »
4 speakers out an sealed.  Does a valet not remove smells hopefully of old??

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2021, 08:48 »
Isn't the other leak point the roof antenna mount? Leaks into the headlining.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2021, 10:11 »
Isn't the other leak point the roof antenna mount? Leaks into the headlining.

Yes, I’ve seen it mentioned on a few forums.

@Vw80; I’ve put a list of possible sources of water ingress on the mk7 Golf that have cropped up over the years on various mk7 Golf forums. Some of these have already been mentioned in this discussion thread, but thought it might be useful as a checklist to help you track down the cause of the damp, musty smell which IMO means moisture is getting in somewhere.

As @Carbon VW has said, it’s possible for the carpets to be dry to the touch, but the sound deadening underlay could be soaking up water and be damp, causing the musty smell. Do you get condensation issues inside your car? - that would also be a tell tale sign of water ingress.

List below items in no particular order;
1. Blocked pollen filter.
2. Cars with sunroof - blocked sunroof drain pipes.
3. Damaged / broken door speaker seals, resulting in water draining into the foot wells.
4. Damaged / poor fitting door or window seals.
5. Damaged / perished grommet on the bottom of the drain pipe from the hatch release handle.
6. Damaged / cracked rubber sleeving covering the wiring from the car into the tailgate.
7. Poor seal between the tailgate hinges and where they’re attached to the body shell above the tailgate opening.
8. Damaged rubber washer between the roof and roof mounted aerial.
9. Damaged or perished seal(s) between the rear light clusters and the car body.
10. A/C drain tube becoming detached from the evaporator, draining into car interior rather than on the ground outside the car
11. Water ingress via vents in the lower rear quarter panels either side of the boot behind rear bumper cover.
12. Replacement windscreen not bonded correctly to car body shell.
13. Blocked drainage hole in windscreen scuttle panel.

As @Carbon VW has said, a valet won’t really achieve anything, other than maybe temporarily mask the damp smell - IMO the solution to the damp smell is to find the source of the problem and fix it.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2021, 10:39 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2021, 10:18 »
is there anywhere water can't get in on a MK7  ;D ;D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2021, 10:43 »
is there anywhere water can't get in on a MK7  ;D ;D

Looking at that list, that might be the conclusion you come to. To be fair, some of the items in the list won’t be common sources of water ingress - probably the most common ones are failed speaker seals, perished tailgate drain tube grommet and a blocked pollen filter.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2021, 21:47 »
Sooo removed rear seat this eve and got hand down under carpet to feel a saturated sponge sound deadener inside rear door.  From past experiences it’s v hard to get smell out of this spongey stuff so should I cut out wet section and replace section from breakers?