Author Topic: Yet another boring question ....  (Read 2074 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Yet another boring question ....
« on: 11 August 2020, 14:26 »
Believe it or not it’s cold and wet where I’m sitting in Scotland right now and I’m bored again so here’s another question.
DCC : ok so I usually have it in Individual but sometimes in Sport Or Comfort depending on need and mood.

Let’s just say I put it in Normal and my hypothetical pal also has a 245 but without DCC and he keeps it in Normal the whole time. Then we both drive down the same twisty and bumpy country road. Because my suspension is “dynamic”, VW says my 4 dampers are continually adjusting themselves individually to the optimum behaviour for the feedback they are sensing electronically.

My question is this...do the two cars feel and behave differently in identical circumstances and does this mean my DCC gives me not just a simple choice of settings but also better ride and handling in any chosen setting as they are dynamic and not passive in behaviour?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Yet another boring question ....
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2020, 14:45 »
I really dislike DCC on my GTI.
One minute it’s soft and comfy then wallop, an expansion joint totally catches it out and sends a crash through the chassis. The dampers then retrospectively firm up. Too late.

The springs are too firm for wallowy damping and if you firm the dampers up then cats eyes feel like land mines.

That’s just me and I’m normally out of sync with the rest of the world.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2020, 14:48 »
No its dynamic.... actually dynamic.

Have a read of this:

https://procarmanuals.com/vag-ssp-406-dcc-adaptive-chassis-control/

“Normal”“Normal” mode is active when neither the “Comfort” nor “Sport” labels on the button are illuminated yellow.This setting provides an overall balanced, but still dynamic driving feel. It is well suited for everyday use.“

Sport” modeThis mode is active when the “Sport” label is illuminated yellow in the button.This setting gives the vehicle sporty handling with a harder basic configuration. The steering is also set sporty and the chassis damping is stiffer.This setting allows a particularly sporty driving style.

“Comfort” modeThis mode is active when the “Comfort” label is illuminated yellow in the button.This setting leads to a comfort-oriented, softer basic configuration of the chassis damping.It is suitable, for example, for driving on bad roads and for long journeys.

The differences in the modes are noticeable from the varying hardness of the basic damping settings. They are superimposed by higher damping force requirements due to the driving situations.

It uses the road surface and the respective driving situation (e.g. braking, accelerating and cornering) to drive an algorthym to adjust the suspension continually.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2020, 15:00 »
I really dislike DCC on my GTI.

I think on the TCR they have over done the springs or something - its definitely not like a GTD/GTI/R spring rate.

I've heard several people say the ride is compromised by DCC on the TCR.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2020, 15:26 »
Fred....the guide you provided the link to is amazing and P8 absolutely nails it. So this is a v complex piece of kit and really never properly explained in most VW literature. I can understand why it is an expensive extra.
But, but...it is much maligned on this forum and I have not seen many owners eulogising what ought to be an absolutely wonderful piece of technology. I have had 2 Mk 7 GTIs without DCC but for my present car I decided NOT to go for the more overt extras like pan roof, 19s or cabin trim and instead just have one hidden extra...DCC.
I got about 14% discount off (plus £1,500) so while DCC doesn’t break the bank I keep asking myself in the light of my last 10,000 miles with DCC on Parker’s would I now specify it again given the choice or would non DCC be fine for me

The answer is I simply don’t know. So here’s the next question...does anyone else with DCC share my slightly conflicted view of DCC?

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2020, 15:37 »
Oh, and the most interesting answers......if I get any......would be from DCC owners running 18s like me. I bet there are not many.

🤓
« Last Edit: 11 August 2020, 16:01 by P6GTD »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2020, 16:32 »
I had DCC on the standard 18s on my 2016 PP GTi. Was left in normal most of the time back and forward to work and in sport for spirited driving and occasionally comfort when on motorways. I've got it again on my new TCR but still running in so haven't really changed the DCC. Did try it out on the day I picked it up and thought sport was way to firm until I realised the dealer had all wheels at about 41psi. Once on 36psi it feels firm and tight which I must say my previous GTi wasn't.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2020, 16:56 »
Love the DCC in my GTI but then I am on 19" alloys.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2020, 17:13 »
I have DCC with 18" Seville wheels. I keep it in normal most times but will put it in comfort for long journies or motorways and sport when I take it for a thrash down the lanes. Really appreciated it when I took a long trip up to the lakes the other week.

I saw from the Autogefuhl review of the Mk 8 GTI that it has 15 DCC settings which is a bit ridiculous IMO. I seriously doubt anyone would tell the difference between say level 6 and 7, and if it is 'dynamic' why does it need so many settings?
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2020, 17:35 »
I decided against DCC in the end, and just got some 17's with non XL tyres instead.