Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 51459 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #60 on: 04 September 2020, 13:27 »
UI is largely an irrelevant worry, it could be completely overhauled by the next update. The days of being saddled with one OS version are over.

I'm not sure they're at JLR/Tesla stage of OTT updates, but hopefully they'll get there.

You think? BMW have recently used their OTA update to deliver Android Auto and some other changes.

I am not expecting VW to ever do the same on the Mk8. I reckon whatever it arrives with will be what you see right up to the end of their life cycle of support apart from maybe 12 months of bug fixes.

Of course, like any software update, it can be negative as well as positive. When you discover someone in their infinite wisdom has "enhanced" something you used a lot and now its hidden/broken/disfunctional.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 04 September 2020, 13:32 »
UI is largely an irrelevant worry, it could be completely overhauled by the next update. The days of being saddled with one OS version are over.

I'm not sure they're at JLR/Tesla stage of OTT updates, but hopefully they'll get there.

You think? BMW have recently used their OTA update to deliver Android Auto and some other changes.

I am not expecting VW to ever do the same on the Mk8. I reckon whatever it arrives with will be what you see right up to the end of their life cycle of support apart from maybe 12 months of bug fixes.

Of course, like any software update, it can be negative as well as positive. When you discover someone in their infinite wisdom has "enhanced" something you used a lot and now its hidden/broken/disfunctional.

Apparently VW has 'promised' early ID3 adopters that they are working to improve the ID3 software and they will get the update when it is ready. Nothing has been said yet as to whether anything is being done for the Golf. 
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 04 September 2020, 14:50 »
Funnily enough I have an OTA update message flashing up at me right now.

I actually got round to watching Johnny CarPervert’s review of the mk8 GTI today.
Although it was quite a gloss over compared to Thomas’s I enjoyed it far more. He summed it up well. It basically sounds like the mk8 GTI has inherited the TCR chassis tweaks including the aluminium subframe with a few added electronic trickery to further sharpen the car in full on Sport mode.
I just hope all this Nurburgring development isn’t going to be at the expense of shock absorption on crappy British tarmac.

It’s good to see the car in a Watts approved spec:
Red
19’s
Manual
And the nearest VW do to a 3 door - which is 5 doors!

I’ll get round to watching Thomas’s GTE review and Volkswizard’s A3 vid sooner or later.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #63 on: 04 September 2020, 15:06 »
Apparently VW has 'promised' early ID3 adopters that they are working to improve the ID3 software and they will get the update when it is ready. Nothing has been said yet as to whether anything is being done for the Golf.

If they had any brains then all VW models would use the same hardware and software, with some UI adaptions/branding for each model. It would save them a fortune in development costs and enable proper lifecycle control.

Works ok for BMW... but then BMW have always made IDrive an actual thing - its very much central to their marketing and has been for years. I can't think of another car OEM that actually trumpets their car OS/UI like Apple or Google or Microsoft.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 04 September 2020, 15:36 »
It’s good to see the car in a Watts approved spec:
Red
19’s
Manual
And the nearest VW do to a 3 door - which is 5 doors!

:grin: I wonder if VW will put that up as an option on the configurator? :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 04 September 2020, 15:53 »

If they had any brains then all VW models would use the same hardware and software, with some UI adaptions/branding for each model. It would save them a fortune in development costs and enable proper lifecycle control.

Works ok for BMW... but then BMW have always made IDrive an actual thing - its very much central to their marketing and has been for years. I can't think of another car OEM that actually trumpets their car OS/UI like Apple or Google or Microsoft.

That is the way it's going to go, but unfortunately VW has been slow out of the blocks so for now they have to go with what they've got until their own full blown OS is ready

https://electrek.co/2020/06/19/vw-to-develop-its-own-operating-system-but-dodges-question-about-id-3-software/
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #66 on: 04 September 2020, 16:16 »
Oh boy, they are late to that party!

Its not clear from that article either if they are talking about actual vehicle operations software or the UI for other driver controls either.

I suspect its the former.

I do happen to know from my daughter's partner that much like VW don't make most of the components, today they don't even make the software - her partner actually wrote some software for window controls and she doesn't work for VW, she works for an IT company.

I appreciate outsourcing is something everyone does, but software these days is as much of these machines as any metallic piece.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 13 September 2020, 17:10 »
Interesting review of the gti in TG Mag. Basically the best gti to drive but very nearly ruined by the controls.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 24 September 2020, 16:33 »
Here is a new review of the Mk 8 GTI from Top Gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmL_QbUwvsg.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #69 on: 24 September 2020, 16:51 »
Here is a new review of the Mk 8 GTI from Top Gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmL_QbUwvsg.

Interesting.... i think thats a bit more of a real review actually.

That kings red does look a bit brown in that video tho lol