Author Topic: Who’s swapping their Mk7/7.5 then...  (Read 19987 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Who’s swapping their Mk7/7.5 then...
« Reply #70 on: 28 February 2020, 09:58 »
Do think its a car you genuinely and seriously look at as despite concerns there is a lot to like,

It needs that thirsty issue fixing (the Top Gear long term review said you are lucky to get 300 miles out of a tank of fuel!) and at the very least needs a DCC type setup that can cope with British pothole filled roads.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #71 on: 28 February 2020, 10:13 »
It doesn't look so bad in this photo actually - which I think really illustrates the point that you are likely to have a different opinion in the flesh:

Interesting that they seem to have had a redesign on the sunroof surround, might help Watts case when he goes back, almost an admission of a fault!! :huh:

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286255.0

2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 28 February 2020, 10:31 »
Do think its a car you genuinely and seriously look at as despite concerns there is a lot to like,

It needs that thirsty issue fixing (the Top Gear long term review said you are lucky to get 300 miles out of a tank of fuel!) and at the very least needs a DCC type setup that can cope with British pothole filled roads.

My R and even my present TCR when running around in sport and locally just about gets me to 300 miles on a tank

Is the I30N 270 BHP? Imagine the 2020 will have a BHP increase and be at the TCR level of 290 BHP and so if they get it to 300 -350 miles a tank thats on par with the circa 300 BHP hatches out there

Thought the I30N had DCC as part of what is apparently its endless set up options? If not, then DCC is a must for me, first box I tick
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 28 February 2020, 13:12 »
Just read that Geneva has been cancelled as Swiss government have made a ban on large events 1000 >
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 28 February 2020, 14:58 »

My R and even my present TCR when running around in sport and locally just about gets me to 300 miles on a tank

Is the I30N 270 BHP? Imagine the 2020 will have a BHP increase and be at the TCR level of 290 BHP and so if they get it to 300 -350 miles a tank thats on par with the circa 300 BHP hatches out there

Thought the I30N had DCC as part of what is apparently its endless set up options? If not, then DCC is a must for me, first box I tick
the i30N comes as standard with DCC. the only thing to pick on the i30N is colour. The new interior updates bring it more in line with the golf interior. Never mind people saying 300 per tank, I was talking to a chap a few months ago and asked him how many miles per gallon he got out of his. 15mpg on a good day and 25mpg taking it easy. If they increase bhp then it'll get even less!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #75 on: 28 February 2020, 15:03 »

the i30N comes as standard with DCC. the only thing to pick on the i30N is colour. The new interior updates bring it more in line with the golf interior. Never mind people saying 300 per tank, I was talking to a chap a few months ago and asked him how many miles per gallon he got out of his. 15mpg on a good day and 25mpg taking it easy. If they increase bhp then it'll get even less!

You see thats pretty grim - again coming back to my baseline M135i - thats 27mpg if you are trying to break the landspeed record and 42mpg if you are just driving open roads and motorways at sensible fuel consuming speeds.

I would never consider a car that was as thirsty as the N - certainly not when its only a 2l FWD hot hatch - those figures are up there with 3l V6 territory. I'm fairly sure even a Focus RS doesn't do as badly.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 28 February 2020, 15:14 »
People keep saying that everyone should be switching to Korean cars that are cheaper, have long warranties, designed by people they poached from Audi/BMW etc.

But when it comes to going beyond the aesthetics (which aren't always great), their running gear tech is miles off VAG, BMW, Ford etc to get big performance and decent economy.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #77 on: 28 February 2020, 17:17 »
I spent a day driving an i30N around Millbrook, it's a hilariously capable car. Few of the touch points are a little cheap, but then it's a cheap car. I didn't like the stupid exhaust.

The ride is the main point. It's fine in anything but N/race/whatever they call it mode, then it'll really annoy you. We were doing 130+ around the bowl and the instructor put it in that mode and I near as damn it went blind from the vibration. It may as well have had a solid bar instead of a damper.

Given they've come so far from nothing in such a short space, I expect the next gen car to be very good.

'18 245PP DSG

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #78 on: 28 February 2020, 17:21 »
I like the MK8.

I don't really feel the need to jump from the 245PP, but I'd certainly take a look at the Clubsport type variant when it arrives.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 28 February 2020, 17:48 »
I like the MK8.

VW will be happy - one potential Mk7 owner that likes the Mk8  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey