Author Topic: DAB Reception  (Read 4701 times)

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
DAB Reception
« on: 31 January 2020, 11:59 »
I've recently bought a 4 month TCR which I'm very pleased with. However, the DAB reception on local and national stations can be poor. Most of the time it's fine, then in my own road or close locality, it sounds like you're in a tunnel and it goes, then cuts back in. I live in West Sussex, by the coast. DAB reception in our other 2 cars is fine with no drop out.

I plan to book it in with local dealer but just wondered if others had experienced similar problems?
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
Re: DAB Reception
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2020, 12:11 »
I've recently bought a 4 month TCR which I'm very pleased with. However, the DAB reception on local and national stations can be poor. Most of the time it's fine, then in my own road or close locality, it sounds like you're in a tunnel and it goes, then cuts back in. I live in West Sussex, by the coast. DAB reception in our other 2 cars is fine with no drop out.

I plan to book it in with local dealer but just wondered if others had experienced similar problems?

I've had mine for 7-8 months now and I have to admit mine isn't the most consistent, I tend to have my own music on hence why it hasn't bothered me too much but I was going to raise it when she goes in for a service. It has to be something to do with the 7.5 because in the same area I never had issue with my 7R?? :huh:

2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2020, 13:13 »
I’m also in West Sussex and find the DAB reception generally awful. Limited channel choice and easily drops a channel. My other non-VW car also has a DAB radio and whilst I think the signal in the area is naff, it’s worse in the golf.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2020, 14:27 »

I've had mine for 7-8 months now and I have to admit mine isn't the most consistent, I tend to have my own music on hence why it hasn't bothered me too much but I was going to raise it when she goes in for a service. It has to be something to do with the 7.5 because in the same area I never had issue with my 7R?? :huh:
I’m also in West Sussex and find the DAB reception generally awful. Limited channel choice and easily drops a channel. My other non-VW car also has a DAB radio and whilst I think the signal in the area is naff, it’s worse in the golf.

Thanks for your replies. Seems it may be a MK 7 problem.
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2020, 16:12 »
DAB is poor on mine compared to the BMW.

The BMW lists way more stations than the TCR. Was surprised a number of the bigger ones didn’t show up.

Also a PITA that you have to download the logos for the mainstream stations.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2020, 13:40 »
DAB is poor on mine compared to the BMW.

The BMW lists way more stations than the TCR. Was surprised a number of the bigger ones didn’t show up.

Also a PITA that you have to download the logos for the mainstream stations.

Now that is the opposite to both my previous BMW's e92 and e71 had terrible drop out with DAB. The VW is absolutely faultless with DAB in my area and when it has a weak signal the transition to FM is seamless.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2020, 15:13 »
It’s not that it drops signal, more that it just doesn’t even list half as many stations as the BMW (f21 so maybe different to your e series?)
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2020, 21:16 »
I find BBC stations ok, commercial stations a bit patchy
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2020, 21:41 »
DAB works flawlessly here in Norfolk. Hundreds of stations, all crystal clear and zero drop-outs.

Just looking forward to them completing the 2G mobile network rollout... (never mind 3/4/5G).
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2020, 06:01 »
Compared to most other cars (Renault, Dacia, Hyundai and Ford) the VW DAB reception is way worse than the others, with a smaller station list and dropouts of reception where the other cars hold onto it.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner