Author Topic: Replacing coolant tank with Silicon bag  (Read 19557 times)

Offline silver38

• Not said much yet
Re: Replacing coolant tank with Silicon bag
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2019, 10:34 »
I went to a dealer last Friday and bought a new tank @ retail £23.06 + vat total price £27.67.
The current part number is 5Q0121407T, there has been a part number ending in M. I checked while there for the silica bag and couldn't see one, the parts guy said there had been quite a few cars that needed the heater matrix changed because of the split silica bag. The bag isn't available separately but all tanks have it. Check for the handbook information symbol  on the tank to the right you will also see the G13 symbol and further to the right the words mit silikat (with silicate).
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2019, 12:44 »
I went to a dealer last Friday and bought a new tank @ retail £23.06 + vat total price £27.67.
The current part number is 5Q0121407T, there has been a part number ending in M. I checked while there for the silica bag and couldn't see one, the parts guy said there had been quite a few cars that needed the heater matrix changed because of the split silica bag. The bag isn't available separately but all tanks have it. Check for the handbook information symbol  on the tank to the right you will also see the G13 symbol and further to the right the words mit silikat (with silicate).

So did your old tank have a bag ? And if it did, are you fitting a tank without one ?
« Last Edit: 05 December 2019, 12:46 by Rob_benton »
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2019, 15:09 »
Does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture showing this bag, as I'm feeling a little paranoid!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2019, 15:18 »
Does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture showing this bag, as I'm feeling a little paranoid!

Here’s one being removed on a US GTI;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GWRejR7U0w
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2019, 17:51 »

If your tank has a bag it will say mit silikat next to G13 written on it.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2019, 19:54 »
Just checked my car a 2014 build estate..coolant tank does not state "mit silicat"...& shone a bright torch through the side of the tank to illuminate the whole inside...no silica bag...& I have the top end 2 zone climate...as someone thought all with climate got the silica bags as standard...

VW obviously considering a silica bag is cheaper than the correct amount of G13...extreme penny pinching...which also explains the lack of service date change for the coolant which used to be 5yrs....

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2019, 20:10 »
This is from a Vw self study

‘ Coolant Expansion Tank with Silicate Repository

The coolant expansion tank contains a silicate repository. Silicate is used to protect the aluminum components in the coolant
system from corrosion. There are silicates in the G13 coolant, but they are used up over time if the engine is subject to high
thermal loads.

To compensate for the silicate consumption, silicate is taken from the repository and added to the coolant. The silicate
repository provides additional protection against corrosion for the aluminum components in the coolant system over the entire
lifespan of the engine.’
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2019, 20:29 »

The coolant expansion tank contains a silicate repository. Silicate is used to protect the aluminum components in the coolant
system from corrosion. There are silicates in the G13 coolant, but they are used up over time if the engine is subject to high
thermal loads.

To compensate for the silicate consumption, silicate is taken from the repository and added to the coolant. The silicate
repository provides additional protection against corrosion for the aluminum components in the coolant system over the entire
lifespan of the engine.’

Basically "we don't need to change the coolant every 5yrs.. a silica bag does the job of keeping the coolant tip-top"....right up until it splits & FUBARs the entire heating system usually when the car is out of warranty…. :angry:

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 06 December 2019, 00:39 »

thermal loads.

lifespan of the engine.’

Basically "we don't need to change the coolant every 5yrs.. a silica bag does the job of keeping the coolant tip-top"....right up until it splits & FUBARs the entire heating system usually when the car is out of warranty…. :angry:

An excellent summing up of the situation there Dave  :grin:
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Crazyfool

• Just got here
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2019, 10:27 »
Hello, first time poster here. Had my car in for a service the other day got a call to say the bag had burst and the coolant was contaminated. They replaced the tank and coolant under warranty car has 30000kms on it 2 years old. Its only a 1 litre just thought some may be interested.