Author Topic: Brand New GTI Door Issue  (Read 1245 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Brand New GTI Door Issue
« on: 10 March 2018, 16:07 »
Hi

Noticed an issue with my 1 week old GTI. There is a slight rubbing noise when opening the passenger door.

Now after a while of checking Ive figured it out to be the door is sat too close to the inner rubber/ plastic lining on the front side visible with the door half open/ closed. This means when opening/closing the door around a 1 inch section is rubbing at the front end. You can already see the rubber/ plastic is scored with a mark. Compared with the drivers door which doesnt rub.

The panel gaps on the passenger side look ok all nice and even. Its just the door needs adjusting to move maybe 1 or 2mm. I dont wanna leave it as the door paint could wear through on the edge over time. Is there anything I can do? Ive checked and pushed against the rubber / plastic door liner and its clipped in properly, I guess book it in to the dealer?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Brand New GTI Door Issue
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2018, 16:49 »
I have the exact same issue on my R.
Only noticed it after washing it one time as the paint had rubbed away on the inside edge of the door!!

Its the plastic lining that hasn't been fitted correctly. If you compare it to your drivers door you'll see the drivers door sits more recessed in.

I've had mine changed under warranty but so far I'm waiting on the dealer getting back to me regarding the repair for the paint.
I don't think it will be that bad as it is on the leading edge and hardly noticeable.

Interestingly I compared mine to my wifes GTI and the inner lining appears different on both cars!!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2018, 16:57 »
I have the exact same issue on my R.
Only noticed it after washing it one time as the paint had rubbed away on the inside edge of the door!!

Its the plastic lining that hasn't been fitted correctly. If you compare it to your drivers door you'll see the drivers door sits more recessed in.

I've had mine changed under warranty but so far I'm waiting on the dealer getting back to me regarding the repair for the paint.
I don't think it will be that bad as it is on the leading edge and hardly noticeable.

Interestingly I compared mine to my wifes GTI and the inner lining appears different on both cars!!

Thats interesting, I just persumed they will adjust the door. What was involved with replacing the lining, did they remove the door? Did it take long from first reporting to being sorted?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2018, 17:14 »
The dealer I use is shockingly bad but no other option really.
I showed them it during a service and they arranged to sort it on the next visit. Well they didn't actually bother doing anything as they said they would be in touch but as usual never bothered getting back to me.
Anyway that is another story.

It involves removing the inner wheel arch and going in that way. No the door doesn't need to come off thankfully.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2018, 17:57 »
The dealer I use is shockingly bad but no other option really.
I showed them it during a service and they arranged to sort it on the next visit. Well they didn't actually bother doing anything as they said they would be in touch but as usual never bothered getting back to me.
Anyway that is another story.

It involves removing the inner wheel arch and going in that way. No the door doesn't need to come off thankfully.

I took another look at both sides and the lining appears to be fitted the same, the drivers side which isnt making any noise though already is wearing the rubber lining a bit! So looks like both sides has the problem. Off to the dealer Monday then