Author Topic: My new GTI PP nearly stolen. Anybody recommend best security  (Read 12330 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: My new GTI PP nearly stolen. Anybody recommend best security
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2017, 16:48 »
It's difficult to combat the threat of someone breaking into your house to steal keys without turning your house into a bit of a fortress, but a faraday bag and a proper Disklok will certainly deter a thief with a signal extender device.
I now put my key into a faraday bag when I go to the gym or nip to the shops. It takes 2 seconds and gives you added peace of mind.

5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #31 on: 28 November 2017, 16:03 »
There are lots of things a criminal COULD do, but most have a single MO and few want to confront you. Most want to execute the theft unseen to reduce chances of getting caught.

Obviously they could go full Reservoir Dogs on you, but its highly unlikely for a Golf...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 28 November 2017, 23:03 »
I have a Faraday pouch.  You must make sure it's a genuine product with the flap sealing the pouch otherwise the keyfob is not isolated.

I've tested it with key fobs & phones and it works.

However, a determined thief will simply break into your house during the night & threaten you and your kids until they get the keys if they want the car that badly.

Most thieves want to keep it simple and take the car without you knowing which is why it's so easy for them to do so with relatively inexpensive technology.

Been reading more about this tonight.The kit to relay the signal only costs about £80.It's already rife in the US and Germany.Now taking off here.
Went out tonight with the key wrapped in tin-foil and it wouldn't open.So even though it's quiet around here the pouch is still a cheap deterrent.  :smiley:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 28 November 2017, 23:07 »
It's difficult to combat the threat of someone breaking into your house to steal keys without turning your house into a bit of a fortress, but a faraday bag and a proper Disklok will certainly deter a thief with a signal extender device.
I now put my key into a faraday bag when I go to the gym or nip to the shops. It takes 2 seconds and gives you added peace of mind.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if VW had provided an on/off signal button on the remote?.Too easy i suppose. :sad:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 29 November 2017, 06:30 »

Wouldn't it be fantastic if VW had provided an on/off signal button on the remote?.Too easy i suppose. :sad:

Exactly.

You would think the manufacturers will have to come up with a cure for this quick smart.  Otherwise it will spell the end of keyless entry - at least using the current method.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 29 November 2017, 08:56 »
There is a small tweak they could do, which is to reduce the validity time of the key sequence to make it impossible for it to travel further than it is intended.

It does have a validity timeout, but its too long and therefore allows for quite long range amplification.

However, there is no way VW are going to do this, not unless someone big gets shirty with them - eg the EU or 1000 Americans in a class action.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 29 November 2017, 10:04 »
I'm wondering if the unlocking bit of keyless can be turned off with OBDeleven so only the starting bit will work?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 29 November 2017, 10:14 »
And use the emergency key thing only instead?

I wonder if the normal remote key from non-keyless can be used? ie does the car still have that hardware in it? If so, you could get a keyfob and code it?

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 29 November 2017, 10:44 »
And use the emergency key thing only instead?

I wonder if the normal remote key from non-keyless can be used? ie does the car still have that hardware in it? If so, you could get a keyfob and code it?

No I mean use the key fob buttons to lock and unlock the car and the keyless part only work when the car is unlocked.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 29 November 2017, 11:02 »
I purchased this pouch for £6.49 for my keys. Works well. I put them in the pouch and tried to open the car and it blocked it! Also blocks mobile phones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071NFX24Q/