Author Topic: £3200 off of GTI/GTD/R list price  (Read 5316 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: £3200 off of GTI/GTD/R list price
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2017, 16:55 »
I casually dropped into Arnold Clark last Saturday, they found a new GTI in Reflex Silver (standard spec 5 dr manual) still at factory, available for first reg on 1 March 17 and reserved it.
Offered me £5,000 off full list price so I got it for £23,300, no strings attached.
Bizarrely, I wanted a Silver car and never expected them to turn one up. I could hardly refuse at that point :wink:
Offered reasonable guaranteed trade-in price on my current Mk7 DBP GTI which I had not planned to change for another year. So no change to trade in value already agreed.
Result....on 1 March I will pick up my new factory fresh GTI 6 weeks after paying my £300 deposit on Monday.

PS : on the subject of FL models, I reckon a plummeting pound and a hard brexit can only push prices up or specs down in 2017. I also think the purity of the pre FL MK7 is much nicer than the FL...especially round the front of the car. This made me decide I wanted a pre-FL in any event and in final NAV spec it is just about ideal.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2017, 17:14 »
I casually dropped into Arnold Clark last Saturday, they found a new GTI in Reflex Silver (standard spec 5 dr manual) still at factory, available for first reg on 1 March 17 and reserved it.
Offered me £5,000 off full list price so I got it for £23,300, no strings attached.
Bizarrely, I wanted a Silver car and never expected them to turn one up. I could hardly refuse at that point :wink:
Offered reasonable guaranteed trade-in price on my current Mk7 DBP GTI which I had not planned to change for another year. So no change to trade in value already agreed.
Result....on 1 March I will pick up my new factory fresh GTI 6 weeks after paying my £300 deposit on Monday.

PS : on the subject of FL models, I reckon a plummeting pound and a hard brexit can only push prices up or specs down in 2017. I also think the purity of the pre FL MK7 is much nicer than the FL...especially round the front of the car. This made me decide I wanted a pre-FL in any event and in final NAV spec it is just about ideal.

I understand that the deals just now on pre FL cars are not to be sniffed at but it still amazes me the number of people who trade their car in after 2-3 years for basically the exact same car perhaps with a couple of extra options. I honestly think I would be bored after 6 months with the same car

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2017, 17:26 »
I guess it depends on whether you own the car or have a lease/pcp deal. If you have one of these, you need to move on after 3 years.

As for being bored.... If I find a car I am totally happy with, I'll have another. Why risk being stuck with something that either isn't as good or is just plain terrible? I'd kick myself more for that.

For me its not because its a Golf, I am no fanatic, this is the first one I've had. I'm definitely after another, the FL gives me a chance for it to be slightly different, but if the timing wasn't what what it is, I'd have just rolled into one pretty much the same as the one I have now, maybe even the same colour.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2017, 15:02 »
I understand that the deals just now on pre FL cars are not to be sniffed at but it still amazes me the number of people who trade their car in after 2-3 years for basically the exact same car perhaps with a couple of extra options. I honestly think I would be bored after 6 months with the same car
Me too...done this twice before on the original Audi TT Roadster (225 to V6) and Vauxhall Vectra (1.8 to 2.5V6). In both cases, once the performance hit had worn off I thought I was still in the old car and didn't keep either of the replacements that long.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2017, 15:12 »
mmmm, I understand the point but.....
I observe many forum members are on their second, third or fourth GTI.
Many say the car offers them a blend of qualities they presumably can't find elsewhere, despite GTIs and derivatives being more expensive than the competitition.
Yes, £23K net can find lots of other new cars that will take you from A to B and back.
If you like a GTI then that's what you want. :whistle:
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2017, 18:13 »
Don't get me wrong I'm not in any way criticising, it's just my feelings. The same applies swapping a GTD for a GTI, the small difference in performance wouldn't be enough to hold my attention for any length of time. Moving to an R I can understand as it's on a different level to both the GTD/GTI and certainly the facelift is an interesting proposition as it provides new features which have not been seen before. 

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2017, 16:35 »
Me too...done this twice before on the original Audi TT Roadster (225 to V6) and Vauxhall Vectra (1.8 to 2.5V6). In both cases, once the performance hit had worn off I thought I was still in the old car and didn't keep either of the replacements that long.

I did that, had my first 320d M-Sport in 2013, covered 110k effortless miles. Test drove the competition and ordered exactly the same car again on a '16 plate albeit with the LCi upgrade and very happy.

If you find a car which meets your needs better the devil you know IMO.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline madmark63

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2017, 01:06 »
i got a good discount off of mine i think it was still allot i think at £29600 on the road price,

but it was the only 5 door dsg perfromance pack with 90% tints ,satigao,s /parking pack.teck pack.keyless and dcc. in black i wanted carbon but there was none left with the spec i wanted ! :smiley:
« Last Edit: 23 January 2017, 01:08 by madmark63 »
gti mk7 5 door in black dsg /performance pack,tech pack,parking pack,19" satiago,s with dcc