Author Topic: Squeeky windows  (Read 7177 times)

Offline FBASH1R

• Not said much yet
Re: Squeeky windows
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2016, 00:06 »
My car was in for a service at the local dealership yesterday & oddly enough I have a similar problem with my driver side window making a squeaking noise but only when going up. I asked them to take a look at it as they had the car all day anyway as I'd be at work. When I got the car back, they told me it's due to the rubber seal perishing & nothing to do with the regulator, it would be £98 to supply & fit.

It's nowhere near as bad as the video linked, my understanding that is if the window is getting stuck or becomes slow, that will be your regulator.

Its defo the rubber seals then..do you have the part number?...i thought it would be the seals cos when i listem carefully it sounds like the bottom of the rubbers making the noise ..ITS REALLY ANNOYING I WANT IT SORTED ASAP!

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2016, 05:36 »
Apply the talc fairly generously to the vertical section of the channels with glass all the way down...apply another dose with it half way up and go from there. You will need to cycle the window up and down a few times to get a good coverage, add more talc as required.

I would do it with the door fully open... saves a mess inside the cabin.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2016, 06:37 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2016, 10:59 »
Surely using talc will cause other problems? I can't imagine a ton of talc in the mechanism etc is a good idea
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 27 June 2016, 11:49 »
If you used a ton of talc, you probably would cause a problem, but we're talking less than a teaspoon full or less.

I've used this method many times on many types of vehicles, including my Golf...never been an issue, only results!
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Adycakes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2016, 16:44 »
My car was in for a service at the local dealership yesterday & oddly enough I have a similar problem with my driver side window making a squeaking noise but only when going up. I asked them to take a look at it as they had the car all day anyway as I'd be at work. When I got the car back, they told me it's due to the rubber seal perishing & nothing to do with the regulator, it would be £98 to supply & fit.

It's nowhere near as bad as the video linked, my understanding that is if the window is getting stuck or becomes slow, that will be your regulator.

Its defo the rubber seals then..do you have the part number?...i thought it would be the seals cos when i listem carefully it sounds like the bottom of the rubbers making the noise ..ITS REALLY ANNOYING I WANT IT SORTED ASAP!

I can't say for 100% it's the same for you, but that's what they told me with the squeaking noise coming from my driver side window. Sadly no part number as I didn't ask for it. I'm booking it in for a DSG oil change & the seals to be changed next week all being well, happy to get the part number for you if you want it.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2016, 18:55 »
I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong when it comes to a problem...what I'm suggesting is a possible solution.
I've been there before and may get there again with a similar problem...I prefer to try the easy (cheap) fix before I go for a  super expensive  (98 quid  is a months salary for me) solution from a dealer.

Anyway, this has worked very well for me over the last 55 or so years....what you choose to do, is up to you.

Offline FBASH1R

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2016, 22:27 »
I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong when it comes to a problem...what I'm suggesting is a possible solution.
I've been there before and may get there again with a similar problem...I prefer to try the easy (cheap) fix before I go for a  super expensive  (98 quid  is a months salary for me) solution from a dealer.

Anyway, this has worked very well for me over the last 55 or so years....what you choose to do, is up to you.

thats what im saying..where about do i put it? il give it a try.

Offline FBASH1R

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 27 June 2016, 22:38 »

I can't say for 100% it's the same for you, but that's what they told me with the squeaking noise coming from my driver side window. Sadly no part number as I didn't ask for it. I'm booking it in for a DSG oil change & the seals to be changed next week all being well, happy to get the part number for you if you want it.

yes please

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 28 June 2016, 07:17 »

thats what im saying..where about do i put it? il give it a try.

Look up near the top of this page...

Offline Adycakes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2016, 09:00 »

yes please

On it mate, I might pop down there today to book the car in so I'll let you know.