Author Topic: Would I be mad to?  (Read 12373 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Would I be mad to?
« Reply #20 on: 07 May 2016, 21:14 »
Cossieian - yes you would but if you want to, why not! I may nominate you for a New Year's honour for services to the supply of quality used motors :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 07 May 2016, 21:27 »
Cossieian - yes you would but if you want to, why not! I may nominate you for a New Year's honour for services to the supply of quality used motors :laugh:

Ha ha ha that's made me laugh :grin:

Does anyone know if the newer model Rs are being built with any upgrades etc or is it as they are ATM
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2016, 23:20 »
Completely bonkers idea. Your car ain't that old just now is it? The only person who wins out of this is the dealer

I'm going to take the opposite stand point and think Ian would be the winner of its just £1000.

You get a newer car with the £900 wheel upgrade and the MY17 changes which means those childishly fun gauges in the head unit.
All you lose is keyless, and exactly how hard is it to fish a key out of your pocket?

The only change I'd make would be to possibly get a different colour. Or if my pockets really were that inaccessible I'd get a five door and keyless.
Personally I think the GTI looks better in 3 door and the R looks better in 5 door but that's neither here nor there.

No, if I was on PCP myself I'd do exactly the same right now myself.
I'd happily pay £1000 to get a new car with a set of Prets, the ability to get my phone nav up on the radio screen and those childishly fun gauges!
Sorry.

PS. I think I know where your wife was coming from with the revelation she expected it sooner as indeed you did drop a few hints yourself.
Go for it, I would!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2016, 23:33 »
Andy what are the extra gauges? Is there any other upgrades new Rs are getting now?
Ref colour, my wife and I chatted about this today and we both just love Tornado Red, I would prefer it to be a different colour but i can't help what I like :embarrassed:

BTW Craig my car is 6 months old now, but will be about 9-10 months old when new one arrives, so practically a classic :wink:
« Last Edit: 07 May 2016, 23:36 by Cossieian »
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2016, 23:47 »
Red looks great on the R, especially with black mirrors (and dark wheels!)

Evo1986 started a thread with the model year changes back along.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277500.0  As far as the R/GTI/D is concerned it was the digital boost gauge, g-meter and lap timer that is of interest to those of a childish mentality (like me!) plus there's an increase in price for the rear camera and the sad passing of the much missed glove box lock (that I've never met anybody who's used it).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2016, 23:48 »
Andy what are the extra gauges? Is there any other upgrades new Rs are getting now?
Ref colour, my wife and I chatted about this today and we both just love Tornado Red, I would prefer it to be a different colour but i can't help what I like :embarrassed:

BTW Craig my car is 6 months old now, but will be about 9-10 months old when new one arrives, so practically a classic :wink:

Ian, it gets the boost pressure gauge, lap timer etc, loses the lock on the gloves and gets frameless rear view mirror.  That's it, the boost gauges are nifty but otherwise not much to shout about in terms of upgrades.

In all honestly I think you are absolutely nuts to chop yours in for an almost identical car - losing keyless, which is brilliant, and gaining very little. But your car and your money so enjoy.  :smiley:

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2016, 10:25 »
Completely bonkers idea. Your car ain't that old just now is it? The only person who wins out of this is the dealer

I'm going to take the opposite stand point and think Ian would be the winner of its just £1000.

You get a newer car with the £900 wheel upgrade and the MY17 changes which means those childishly fun gauges in the head unit.
All you lose is keyless, and exactly how hard is it to fish a key out of your pocket?

The only change I'd make would be to possibly get a different colour. Or if my pockets really were that inaccessible I'd get a five door and keyless.
Personally I think the GTI looks better in 3 door and the R looks better in 5 door but that's neither here nor there.

No, if I was on PCP myself I'd do exactly the same right now myself.
I'd happily pay £1000 to get a new car with a set of Prets, the ability to get my phone nav up on the radio screen and those childishly fun gauges!
Sorry.

PS. I think I know where your wife was coming from with the revelation she expected it sooner as indeed you did drop a few hints yourself.
Go for it, I would!!

I kind of agree with this (bar the 3/5 door remark since clearly 3 door always looks better :wink:) but the only thing is it's not really just £1000 + £10 extra a month but it will also be the up to 10 pcp payments made on the existing car so £3-4k depending on the monthlies. That's how I'd view it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2016, 11:33 »
I was going on the assumption that young Ian would be planning his next car 45 mins after taking delivery of 'Red R #2" therefore the PCP's are an ongoing thing in a never ending cycle.
I don't think there will ever be a forever car to settle down with, so the PCP's just roll over.
I've never tried a PCP so am not overly familiar with their machinations other from what I've digested on here.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2016, 12:30 »
I know cars are just hunks of metal but I get seriously attached to mine, so the idea of just swapping it out all the time is a complete mystery to me. Just buy something you really like already!!
Another thing, 3 door Golfs just look weird. Just buy a  Scirocco :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2016, 12:44 »
I was going on the assumption that young Ian would be planning his next car 45 mins after taking delivery of 'Red R #2" therefore the PCP's are an ongoing thing in a never ending cycle.
I don't think there will ever be a forever car to settle down with, so the PCP's just roll over.
I've never tried a PCP so am not overly familiar with their machinations other from what I've digested on here.

Sounds like you have me summed up Andy ha ha ha.
As much as I love my cars, and trust me I do, cars are my life. I just don't get attached to them. I find the thrill of the chase and always having something round the corner to look forward to keeps me going! Life is way way to short and as I've always said if it's affordable and comfortably within my means I just do it.