Author Topic: Spring Detail - Mk7 GTD Diamond Black Pearl  (Read 9680 times)

Offline KyleB

• I live here
Spring Detail - Mk7 GTD Diamond Black Pearl
« on: 23 April 2016, 14:52 »
Thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather this morning and give my car a thorough clean. It's been a while since I've given it the full works, as weather has been poor and I've had lots of other things on. Forgot how enjoyable it is just to spend the morning working on your car (apart from the bloody drying stage!)

Anyway, no pictures of the car before hand, it wasn't too dirty, and no pictures of during.

My stages are

Snow Foam with Valet Pro Advanced Neutral
Clean wheels with Sonax Wheel Gel
Rinse
Wash with Dodo Juice Born to be Mild
Rinse
Fallout removal with CarPro Trix (Used all of this up now, think I'll get a separate glue and tar remover next time)
Snow Foam again with Valet Pro Advance Neutral
Clay the car with the Farecla G3 Mitt (When this is finished going to try the WoWo offering)
Rinse
Polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Need to get brave and buy a DAP)
Wax with Autoglym HD Wax
Dress wheels with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
Wipe glass with Autoglym Fast Glass

And now for the results. Comments and opinions are more than welcome.

Offline golfguyuk

• Not said much yet
Re: Spring Detail - Mk7 GTD Diamond Black Pearl
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2016, 14:59 »
This looks excellent mate!

I have black aswell, always thought the black was called deep black pearl.  :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2016, 17:29 »
Stunning work KyleB  :cool: 

I have black aswell, always thought the black was called deep black pearl.  :grin:

In the days of the Mk5 it was known as Diamond Black. I had that on my order sheet for my second mk5 GTI.  By the time the mk6 had come along, VW were calling it Deep Black Pearl which it still is. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2016, 18:10 »
Ah so I've always referred to it as Diamond in error, think my dealer called it that colour. Apologies.

Cheers for the comments guys.

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2016, 19:20 »
Wow that looks awesome Kyle, love that colour and love them wheels :laugh:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2016, 19:41 »
Very nice!

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2016, 21:27 »
WashFallout removal with CarPro Trix (Used all of this up now, think I'll get a separate glue and tar remover next time)

Looks fantastic Kyle :cool:

Can I ask why you're not going for trix again next time? I just used iron X last time and now it's all done was thinking of replacing it with trix.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2016, 23:00 »
WashFallout removal with CarPro Trix (Used all of this up now, think I'll get a separate glue and tar remover next time)

Looks fantastic Kyle :cool:

Can I ask why you're not going for trix again next time? I just used iron X last time and now it's all done was thinking of replacing it with trix.

I've used Trix once and not impressed with it.  It's a great idea in theory 2 in 1 product but it doesn't perform either the de-iron or de-tar as near as well as two separate dedicated products.  I went back to using Iron X and Tardis, and gave away my remaining Trix to someone else.   Far better to get 2 separate products IMO.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2016, 23:53 »
Thanks rebecca. Tardis scares me a little as it comes in a tin with a big warning sign on it, so looks like a proper chemical that could do some damage, where as all of the other things we tend to use look nice in their plastic bottles with trigger sprays lol :laugh:

Doesn't scare me as much as claying does though! Also the thought of using a da scares me less than claying which might be a bit strange I know! :shocked:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2016, 00:15 »
Thanks rebecca. Tardis scares me a little as it comes in a tin with a big warning sign on it, so looks like a proper chemical that could do some damage, where as all of the other things we tend to use look nice in their plastic bottles with trigger sprays lol :laugh:

Doesn't scare me as much as claying does though! Also the thought of using a da scares me less than claying which might be a bit strange I know! :shocked:

:grin: 

Have no fear of the Tardis Dave.  I know exactly what you mean about the scary looking industrial chemical thing, but once you've overcome the terror of opening the big serious looking 5 litre can and picked yourself up from the floor after being knocked over by the very strong glue solvent smell, just decant some into a detailing spray bottle, and suddenly it seems much less scary.  I actually love the smell of it, and no I wasn't a glue sniffer in my youth.  Mind you it is potent stuff and it's the only one of my detailing products I keep in the shed (rest have pride of place in the house, lol).  Or buy something like Auto Finesse ObliTARate which is packaged in a much less scary bottle with a pretty label, haha.  If you do get some Tardis and a spray bottle, make sure you buy a chemical resistant spray head as opposed to a standard one.  Used properly Tardis is perfectly safe on your paintwork, so really nothing to worry about, it won't dissolve your lovely TR paint.

Same goes for claying, scary until you try it, but the clay mitt is the answer to that one - much more user friendly than a clay bar.  But you do need a careful technique, and the key to minimising clay marring is.....lubrication, lubrication, lubrication!

As for the DA machine, you will continue to be afraid until the first ever time you use one, and then the fear will very quickly vanish.  Anyway you'll need the DA to get rid of the marks you inflict with the clay, lol....joking of course.  :laugh:

Time for you to conquer your multiple detailing fears me thinks.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 24 April 2016, 00:19 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual