Author Topic: VW Charging for Tornado Red  (Read 2751 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
VW Charging for Tornado Red
« on: 15 May 2015, 12:46 »
Hi chaps, have just been on the VW Configurator online and it would appear that VW are charging for Tornado Red on the GTI and GTD, however the App still lists it as a standard colour.

Anyone know the truth?!
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: VW Charging for Tornado Red
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2015, 13:07 »
Hi chaps, have just been on the VW Configurator online and it would appear that VW are charging for Tornado Red on the GTI and GTD, however the App still lists it as a standard colour.

Anyone know the truth?!

I don't think VW UK could tell you the truth.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2015, 13:10 »
Yeah quite a lot of discussion about that and other options in here
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=273241.0
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2015, 14:10 »
I popped in to my local dealer last week for something and talking to the sales guy I got mine from.He was telling me that VW are now charging for red.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2015, 14:17 »
Have a look on the Scirocco configurator:
Red comes in at £330, white at £260, some metallics come in at £610 and some £540.
Shambles all round.

I was in discussions about changing car bearing in mind the six-ish month wait for most of the 'sporty' models but have just binned the idea for the foreseeable. I was hoping the ED40 would be the answer, wait another 12 months and get one of those but it's just not doing it for me. As an insurance about the possibility of the ED40 being 'not my cup of tea' I'd been speaking to a couple dealers who will do me a decent deal, but with the current shambles of pricing around the R going up £670 for no reason, the GTI/D going up nearly a grand just for Gen II headunits(???) and all the other spec and pricing uncertainty I really just can't be dealing with VW.
I love my GTI (but desperately need a 5 door) so am quite happy to keep it until the moment comes where something catches my eye.
So I think I'll just go back to my old habits of spending a bit of time and effort sounding out deals on cars that actually physically exist with prices that can physically be seen, either pre-reg'd or pre-owned.

Are VW so overwhelmed with business now they just want to put people off to buy themselves a bit of space? That's hardly fair on the dealership staff trying to make a living who have a pretty impossible task unless they just want to knock out base model Polos and UP's on PCP deals.  :undecided:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2015, 16:04 »
Charging for Red at that level is proof that paint costs them feck all and they will charge what they think the market will bear. How many people can honestly say that a metallic or pearlescent shade wouldn't tempt them at the same price as red or white? As nice as it is TR's popularity can be partially attributed to having been a free colour. If you like DBP and TR equally, but one is free and the other is £540, you'll be swayed towards the free one. 2 price rises in 6 months, the pound 15% stronger against the Euro than it was a year ago and now big % hikes in the cost of many shades of paint, VW UK are greedy bar stewards and no mistake.

Someone should point out to them that inflation is at an all time low right now.

They probably need to make an extra £200 on every car to cover all the late car goodwill gestures they're shelling out for.

What's the alternative though? Only other car I'd consider right now is an S3 or maybe a TT if the missus had a "sensible" car - but I'd still be putting money in VAG's pocket.

What's the alternative though?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2015, 16:05 »
Does this mean the only standard colour is flat black then now or is it undercoat grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2015, 16:24 »
Charging for Red at that level is proof that paint costs them feck all and they will charge what they think the market will bear. How many people can honestly say that a metallic or pearlescent shade wouldn't tempt them at the same price as red or white? As nice as it is TR's popularity can be partially attributed to having been a free colour. If you like DBP and TR equally, but one is free and the other is £540, you'll be swayed towards the free one. 2 price rises in 6 months, the pound 15% stronger against the Euro than it was a year ago and now big % hikes in the cost of many shades of paint, VW UK are greedy bar stewards and no mistake.

Someone should point out to them that inflation is at an all time low right now.

They probably need to make an extra £200 on every car to cover all the late car goodwill gestures they're shelling out for.

What's the alternative though? Only other car I'd consider right now is an S3 or maybe a TT if the missus had a "sensible" car - but I'd still be putting money in VAG's pocket.

What's the alternative though?
The alternative is for people to just stop buying new cars for a while. Keep what you've got and get some value out of it, that in turn (if enough people did it) would shore up used prices. If used prices are strong then new prices can be justified a little more.
There gets a point when people just find things poor value and will direct their money elsewhere.
I'll spend my car budget on a holiday instead. Both things are flushing money down the toilet but that's what we spend our lives working for, and what our forebears went through hell trying to achieve.

Still, all good points as ever MH. Spot on.

Does this mean the only standard colour is flat black then now or is it undercoat grey
When I last looked yesterday, the Golf had flat black as free and the R had (I think) pure white or flat black.
I think the scirocco had Urano and possibly flat black as free, though I only remember seeing the grey.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2015, 17:03 »

Yeah, it sounds like flat black on the GTI and GTD, and on a regular non-performance Golf, Urano Grey. The R seems to come in white or red for free.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2015, 17:22 »
Lapiz Blue is now £610  :shocked:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA