Author Topic: Golf R 400  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Damo66

• Not said much yet
Golf R 400
« on: 30 April 2015, 19:24 »
Does anyone know if these will be a limited run like the MK6 R?
Beetle (1975)
MK2 Golf GTI 16V
MK3 Golf GTI
Corrado G60
MK3 VR6
Passat Sport PDI
MK4 Golf GTI PDI 150
MK5 GTDI 140
MK5 Golf GTI
MK6 Golf R
MK6 Golf GTD
MK6 Golf GTI Ed 35
Beetle Sport TDI
MK7 Golf GTD

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: Golf R 400
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2015, 20:16 »
I have read many reports stating it will not be a limited edition.  The plan at present being put forward by VW execs is for the Golf R400 to be a standard production run just like the current GTI and R. Not to say however there will be as many as some other more family orientated models

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2015, 20:50 »
We should see/hear about the Golf R420 around the September Frankfurt Motor Show.
From what information is out there, it will be a standard production model, so expect both 3 and 5 door variants.
The price of the Golf R420 should come around or under the Audi RS3 price of £39,995, I expect it to be a DSG only model due to the amount of performance on offer from the engine.
Expect no wide track or overly aggressive styling, expect it to be like the current Golf R but with different body styling, more performance, bucket seats / interior upgrades, upgraded brake system and exhaust cooling system.

Volkswagen could put the Golf back at the top of the hot hatch tree above and beyond the AMG, RS and M hatch competition, this will only increase brand awareness in a positive fashion.

Roll on September.  :laugh:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2015, 20:33 »
You sure the mk6 R was limited?

Wonder of they might put the 8 speed DSG in the 400?

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2015, 20:37 »
mk6R wasn't limited just over priced

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2015, 12:15 »
Now that the r400 has been confirmed  I couldn't help myself laying a deposit down for the first build slots,which is crazy considering I only just got the golf R a month ago.but  my thinking is Get in early before there is a lot of golf r being traded in for R400 & lowering prices, although I will only be able to buy one if it comes in a 5 door model ,have DSG ( wife won't have a manual) & prices to start at £37,000.
Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2015, 12:24 »
Now that the r400 has been confirmed  I couldn't help myself laying a deposit down for the first build slots,which is crazy considering I only just got the golf R a month ago.but  my thinking is Get in early before there is a lot of golf r being traded in for R400 & lowering prices, although I will only be able to buy one if it comes in a 5 door model ,have DSG ( wife won't have a manual) & prices to start at £37,000.

I'm sure you'll suffer less drop on your R than you'll lose by waiting on the R400 for broker prices if it is a model available with no further restrictions on allocation than the regular R has. Made that mistake with the GTD, could've got a far better deal on it by waiting a month or 2.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2015, 13:36 »
I appreciate that it's nearly Ferrari performance and I appreciate that the MQB platform must be able to handle the power easily enough, plus I also appreciate that the R400 in the pipeline is probably why VW did such lazy uninspiring styling for the R but nearly £40k base price for a Golf? ???  :lipsrsealed:

Yes "what else can you buy that's comparative?" applies but unless you have absolutely nowhere to park two cars why not get a) something quick, solid and enjoyable for daily use and b) something that you can take to track days and actually use the performance in a place you can actually scratch more than the surface of what it can do

Still, guess it just shows how out of touch with the world I am.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2015, 16:52 »
I appreciate that it's nearly Ferrari performance and I appreciate that the MQB platform must be able to handle the power easily enough, plus I also appreciate that the R400 in the pipeline is probably why VW did such lazy uninspiring styling for the R but nearly £40k base price for a Golf? ???  :lipsrsealed:

Yes "what else can you buy that's comparative?" applies but unless you have absolutely nowhere to park two cars why not get a) something quick, solid and enjoyable for daily use and b) something that you can take to track days and actually use the performance in a place you can actually scratch more than the surface of what it can do

Still, guess it just shows how out of touch with the world I am.

I suppose I'm just keeping my options open,if the r400 does become a must have car at least I'll be at the front of the queue & not have 6-8 month wait times.A £40k golf does sound ridiculous, but will be hoping it has good GFV so monthly payments won't be to high.

As for having a track day car , that would be great but don't have the room with only space for 2 cars ,as my daily driver is a Astra estate.
Mk7 golf R DBP

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2015, 17:04 »

I'm sure you'll suffer less drop on your R than you'll lose by waiting on the R400 for broker prices if it is a model available with no further restrictions on allocation than the regular R has. Made that mistake with the GTD, could've got a far better deal on it by waiting a month or 2.

Your probably right about waiting, the problem I'll have will be trying to negotiate a discount on a car which I have already put a deposit on,It might like the RS3 where your lucky to get 3% of list ,but if the figures don't stack up  I'll just walk away with my refunded £500 .
Mk7 golf R DBP