Author Topic: Mk7 GTD - a review from the first year of ownership  (Read 13122 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Well it's happy birthday for my baby, 26k on the clock and still rolling :)

So I thought I'd write a little piece that might help others trying to decide on a Mk7 GTD.

My car: GTD, 5 door, manual, Limestone Grey, NavPro, DCC, HBA.

Firstly, my overall opinion - I'll get this in first before I add the caveats!

Its been great, the car is pretty much everything I hoped it would be, I don't regret it for a minute, there is nothing else I could have driven for the same money that I would rather be driving today.

Opinions on the options:

LSG - I rather like it, but its not for everyone. I got fed up of having silver cars, otherwise I probably would have chosen a silver. Soft water based paint is just a modern curse though, stone chip city and its just a mass of swirls from never washing it using micron filtered water and velvet gloves.

DCC - I've had it on other cars, I like it. I'd spec it again.

Navpro - If only this had been what was promised, with proper google traffic, google maps etc. I could say that I should have read the VW documentation, but I did and it told me it was going to be super hi-tech... but its not! Also the spoken nav directions are quite the worst I have ever encountered when it comes to pronouncing place names. Often I cannot even begin to determine what its trying to tell me to turn towards and only looking at the screen gives me a hint where I am supposed to go. Where is wwwmmmpphfud? At least they give me free map updates and all of Western Europe - unlike most other manufacturers. Oh and "turn right into destination street" is really annoying, I've bunged in a postcode, driven for 2 hours and now I am magically supposed to remember what the name of the street I am going to is? Really? Thank you VW....

HBA - If only it would be truly automatic and just switch on every time I start the car. Its a better implementation that I have seen with others, it only blinds about 50% of the oncoming traffic. An improvement :)

Standard things I love:

ACC - absolutely superb. I drive a lot on motorways, this is absolutely the best invention ever. Makes for a relaxing long distance drive, which helps fatigue hugely.

Turning circle - I am sure a black cab can turn in a smaller space, but probably not much better. Makes parking and maneuvering dead easy.

All around visibility - after many years of car makers trying to reduce my vision to that of a medial knight with his visor down, this car is a revelation. How difficult was that?

Performance - its not a supercar, its a quick road car. It sees off the other reps on the road and it handles like a dream through the corners, driven with determination you will see most other things off if not in a traffic light burnout, then through the corners. Its better than I had imagined it would be.

Comfort - the seats are really comfy, I can do 300 miles and get out of the car ready to work - surprising given the firmer sporty setup of the car. I've had other "sporty" cars before and the comfort and noise levels were killers. Have been told its rather more noisy in the rear though, but I don't sit there!

Washer fluid - despite having the super thirsty Xenon washer jets, the 20 million litre reservoir means that you aren't filling it up every five minutes.

Variable height boot - so simple, yet so effective. I can keep all my junk (coat, umbrella, atlas etc) under the floor most of the time, keeping my boot nice and clear for other stuff I have to carry from time to time.

Low Emissions - its really why I am with the GTD more than anything. As a company car driver this saves me hundreds of pounds, meaning that I can spend the money on a quality car and not some nasty Vauxhall or Ford. I have been waiting for this moment for years!

Things I could do without:

She burns oil. All modern oil burners burn oil though, but it is annoying to have to pay for 25 quid of oil which typically gets flushed down the drain 1 week after you top up, because its in for a service.

She drinks coolant. Super annoying, another 25 quid item that had there been a bit more would be covered by the servicing, but no, I have to fork out for that as well.

Those nasty Bridgestone tyres. Thank god the fronts were swapped out.

Laser cut wheels - they look awesome, they truly do, but you also live in fear of dinging them.

Sleek smooth sided lines - again, awesome styling but a magnet for other people opening their doors into you.

Random bings and bongs with dire sounding error messages that drive me to the dealer, only to evaporate like the morning dew when I get there. Its the problem with modern computer controlled cars though, but it is annoying - especially the potentially life saving tyre pressure warnings that come along with large temperature changes, especially when its p*ssing with rain and you have to get out and inspect them on the hard shoulder!

Minor niggles:

I never thought it would do the 6 million MPG that VW claim, but winter MPG is not what I expected. A nice summer distance journey does return high 50's though, which for a 184PS engine is quite remarkable.

Touch screen - someone needs taking round the back of the bike sheds for a kicking on this really. I miss the twiddly commander thing other cars used and still use today. I also think that the screen position could be higher up, in my field of vision without taking my eyes off the road.

What would I choose if I did it again?

At the end of my three year lease, I almost certainly will choose another Mk7 GTD, unless the tax position changes.

But also:

Dynaudio - i've got used to the standard system now, but its really not that great. I'd definitely choose this next time.

Lane assist - if I had worked out how little this cost and what it did I'd have spec'ed this and not just HBA.

I'd probably stick with DCC.

If the MIB2 NavPro finally delivers what this one should have done, I'd choose that. Even though a tomtom or whatever might be better, I do prefer the integrated approach.

I hope this helps any prospective buyer!
« Last Edit: 22 April 2015, 12:38 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk7 GTD - a review from the first year of ownership
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2015, 12:48 »
Nice review thanks. Interesting to hear your thoughts on ACC as its a huge selling point for me since I commute on the motorway every day. If it makes the journey just a little bit easier/ more relaxing that makes a big difference. Shame they haven't fixed some of the Mk6 issues like crap standard Bridgestone tyres!
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2015, 12:56 »
Yeah its good - probably better with DSG though, which will take you down to 0 mph and back up again. 5 door DSG is several tax brackets higher for a company car driver, which coupled with the price of DSG makes it expensive.

One of the things I have realised is that the system overall is designed to have all of the options ticked and work as a whole. When you don't tick them all you find some funny things that don't quite join up until you realise it's meant to be all there.

I should have added btw that my viewpoint is from a 25k per year company car driver, not a 5k a year casual car owner. What is important to me is different to others!

Would I buy one for my wife to do 3k pa? Absolutely not!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Diehammer

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2015, 13:15 »
Why are the fluids not included in the service plan? I have ordered mine through VW and was assured that everything was included in the service & maintenance plan apart from tyres obviously.
Golf GTD MK7 5 door Manual, Carbon Grey, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera.

Ordered 26/02/15  Build Week Confirmed 24/04/15 (BW21) Stage 5a 19/05/15 Stage 5b 21/05/15 Stage 5c 29/05/15 Stage 6 02/06/15 Stage 7 04/06/15 Pick Up 06/06/15

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2015, 13:21 »
Nope, my lease company (like all the ones previously) won't provide any items like that between the manufacturer service schedule.

Things that wear out like tyres, wipers and brake pads of course they will, but not top ups to fluids (coolant, oil, blue p*ss (if your car uses that)) etc unless its caused by a leak defect.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2015, 14:39 »
How much oil and coolant are you getting for 25 quid Fred?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2015, 14:47 »
LOL maybe it wasn't 25 quid, that number just represented my frustration.

Whatever VW charge for a bottle of their magic concentrate...

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2015, 16:22 »
The question should be how and why are you using oil and coolant. I've never used a drop of either and mines 18 months old.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2015, 16:29 »
I think it probably depends on your usage of the car... I thrash around all day. Both problems would have been resolved if I had used it a little less between services because a couple of weeks later, it was in the shop being topped up with both.

Which probably means VW had a target of usage when spec'ing the volume of both and I have exceeded it.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2015, 17:09 »
Probably depends more on duration of your average journeys. If the car is fully warm for a 300 mile trip, you have far more chance of evaporating some coolant and oil (the oil may well not have been consumed in the combustion sense) over a period of 5 or 6 hours. Doing 20/30/50 miles at a time probably won't do it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.