Author Topic: Couple of Bumper Related questions.  (Read 1454 times)

Offline RaKeR

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 220
Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« on: 16 September 2005, 18:52 »
Hi guys,

I'm hopefully looking to acquire my bro-in-law's 8V Gti - lovely example, full history with a VAG specialist, 78,000 miles 5 door.

Very tired body work - lots of chips and dings etc.

Will probably get it resprayed as first port of call, but want to lose the big bumpers and buy new small.  Questions are . . . . .

What holes will be left visible in front and rear as a result?
What would it look like with the arches in place - should they go to long with the sills?  If they all go - what holes are left then?
87 model [G plate] - would the side trims be taped on or riveted?  I want to lose these too . . . . .

If I need to get recesses welded and filled now is the time really before painting.

Thanks guys!

Si.

Offline RaKeR

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 220
Re: Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2005, 16:39 »
Any takers?!

Cheers!

Offline takethefifth

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,034
Re: Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2005, 19:08 »
Not sure myself i am afraid, sorry.  My opinion if its a real solid example is keep it original and just make subtle mods, but hey thats just me!

Offline Mart8V

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • I really should know better by now.....
Re: Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2005, 21:52 »
Are you sure about the Year?  87 was D plate, mostly.  If it is a genuine G plater, then it may have big bumpers as standard.  If not, then you could have two holes to fill if the new fronts have been anchored properly.

Offline Ozz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 690
Re: Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2005, 10:42 »
On a G plate the side trim is most likely clipped in place, I believe it is only pre F reg that the side trim was stuck on, so those holes would need welding over.
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2005, 17:55 »
If the side trim looks like the ones in mk2_ozz's sig then its just glued on, if its chunkier or has a 'GTI' badge on it then it'll be clipped into place.

If it has had big bumpers fitted properly then it should have had the bigger side brackets fitted, these need an extra hole drilled into the wing to fit properly. I think it should still be covered by the small bumpers though, but not 100% on that.

The bigger problem is the metal valance under the front bumper, if this was removed when the big bumper was fitted you'll have a great big air scoop :grin:
But not many people bother removing it :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline RaKeR

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 220
Re: Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2005, 20:46 »
Cheers for the info guys - yeah - it's definitely a g plate.  and i agree - i want to keep it as original as possible, just fancied the look of the small bumpers for a change - my last 8v had big bumpers!
Looks like for the hassle, i'll probably keep the bigs and just get the paintwork sweetened up!
Loverley example though - it's almost a different drive to my last one . . . . .

Offline jase555

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 281
  • DUBS DONT DIE, THEY JUST GET LOWER!!
Re: Couple of Bumper Related questions.
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2005, 22:11 »
Small bumpers rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Less weight = more speed.  :grin:
DUBS DONT DIE, THEY JUST GET LOWER!!