Author Topic: Which HT Leads should I buy  (Read 1559 times)

Offline ANDY597

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
Which HT Leads should I buy
« on: 16 September 2005, 11:20 »
HT leads have seen better days.

Just about to do a full service and timing belt change and have bought my new K&N filter.

Need a new set of HT leads,   whats the recommendation, price and cheapest place to go for them.

Cheers
A

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Which HT Leads should I buy
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2005, 11:24 »
I think my leads cost me about £65 but then mine are thicker core and made of a better quality material. Provide a stronger spark as it were.

I think general leads are about £30+ though so really your boundries are pretty relaxed just make sure you buy the right ones.

Offline ANDY597

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
Re: Which HT Leads should I buy
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2005, 11:31 »
Euro Car Parts have standard ones at a reasonable price,  but I was more thinking of performance ones.

Theres so many performance options on the market,   dont know which set to go for...

I was swaying towards Splitfires'

A

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Which HT Leads should I buy
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2005, 11:33 »
Mine were the same as the ones that touring cars use, the dual core jobbies, but then i got them at a massive knock down as i worked at a motorfactors when i was at home. I also need them as my engine is tuned rather high atm.

I personally would spend about £45 on some leads, as they are one of the most important parts electrically in the engine bay.

Offline vws

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 11
Re: Which HT Leads should I buy
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2005, 12:22 »
Hi to all,

HT Leads, I use to work for a lead manufacturer who supply most of the performance market. You would be surprised who they actually make leads for eg. a set of vr6 leads which you may pay £120 we make and sell for £40. The rest is a mark up...

If you want leads they can make them to order and usually offer a choice of colours.

Tel 01208 264546 and ask for David.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Which HT Leads should I buy
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2005, 18:01 »
Just get Beru ones, OEM equivilant quality. No point spendin a fortune on uprated ones on a std engine! cheapest place I've found is http://www.vwspares.co.uk
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline ANDY597

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
Re: Which HT Leads should I buy
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2005, 10:11 »
That looks a good site,   finally some decent online ordering and the prices look good. Just spent twice that amount on a cambelt for example.

I finally got around to ordering a sunroof seal from gpc. (£35 delivered) so I got them to just stick in a set of performance leads. (£47)

Offline Deefadog

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,315
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Re: Which HT Leads should I buy
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2005, 10:50 »
I got my leads & plugs there! very good service and quick delivery!

I'll always use these!
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links