Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 126564 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #290 on: 10 July 2015, 12:21 »
I am bored with rubber. Next ........  :kiss:

.....DSG paddle shifters  :kiss:  :laugh:

Happy with my diddy paddles for now.
Maybe the left footrest?  :kiss:

Footrests?  Have already chosen one. Link is on my ipad at home so can't post it but it's in the mk7 section somewhere.

Had one in my current car and want similar for the R dead pedal, as I need somewhere nice to rest my pretty left foot, as I'm sure you do yours  :kiss:  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 10 July 2015, 12:33 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #291 on: 10 July 2015, 12:24 »
Rebecca:
Look at mikeoz's last post on vwroc (on my thread re tyres) with pictures of his new PSSes on Prats! Won't post a link as you are getting lazy busy:kiss:

He says they are quieter, ride is better and they have next to no RM. From the pictures I can see a bit of RM which would just about do the trick.

Getting lazy, bloody cheek.  I've corrected your comment.  Wish I had time to languish in the sunshine!   :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

No link necessary (ust as well :rolleyes:).  I saw mikeoz's vwroc pics of the PSS RP on the Prettyorias last night (think he used to be on here as mikeok??).  I may be registered on vwroc now but I still like a lurk  :laugh:

As you say, and as both wigit's and mikeoz's attest to - minimal RP, but maybe that will work in my favour, might make me extra careful, but I doubt it  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 10 July 2015, 12:39 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #292 on: 10 July 2015, 12:58 »
Rebecca:

My left foot is a real left foot: size 45! Yes, the footy rest would be nice to rest my monstrosity covered with Church's Brogues. Thank goodness I've stopped wearing those Mr Chew stilettos.

Neither am I lazy. It is Hot as Hell outside, 39 deg C on the balcony in the shade. 44+ deg C in the sun. So I am in-house with the AC on Auto just like in my R. Had a lovely lunch with a nice cool beer and will now have a snooze.

After all my posts re rubber, I think I will stick with the Bridgestones as a matter of penance. I will suffer the noise but enjoy having the RP on the B'stones. I have sinned too much and have indulged in all the below.:

The Seven Deadly Sins
Three Spiritual Sins
1. Pride (spiritual sin)
2. Envy (spiritual sin)
3. Wrath (spiritual sin affected by body)
Four Corporal Sins
4. Accidia or Sloth (corporal sin)
5. Avaricia/Cupiditas or Greed
(corporal sin)
6. Gluttony (corporal sin)
7. Lust (corporal sin)

Pray for me my sister and I will prey on you when I get back!  :kiss:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #293 on: 10 July 2015, 13:46 »

Rebecca:

My left foot is a real left foot: size 45! Yes, the footy rest would be nice to rest my monstrosity covered with Church's Brogues. Thank goodness I've stopped wearing those Mr Chew stilettos.

Neither am I lazy. It is Hot as Hell outside, 39 deg C on the balcony in the shade. 44+ deg C in the sun. So I am in-house with the AC on Auto just like in my R. Had a lovely lunch with a nice cool beer and will now have a snooze.

After all my posts re rubber, I think I will stick with the Bridgestones as a matter of penance. I will suffer the noise but enjoy having the RP on the B'stones. I have sinned too much and have indulged in all the below.:

The Seven Deadly Sins
Three Spiritual Sins
1. Pride (spiritual sin)
2. Envy (spiritual sin)
3. Wrath (spiritual sin affected by body)
Four Corporal Sins
4. Accidia or Sloth (corporal sin)
5. Avaricia/Cupiditas or Greed
(corporal sin)
6. Gluttony (corporal sin)
7. Lust (corporal sin)

Pray for me my sister and I will prey on you when I get back!  :kiss:

Size 45 that's what, a UK size 10/10.5?  That's not so big!  Typical male over exaggeration where size is concerned.  :rolleyes:  :evil: 

Nevertheless you deserve a foot rest worthy of your mini mammoth feet.  By comparison my feet are a diminutive size 7 or 41 (ok, quite big).  I have very long toes, which match my very long fingers which have their uses as you can imagine  :wink: :laugh:

I would not trust anyone who had not indulged in at least most of the The Seven Deadly Sins in their lifetime (some maybe not every week, but a least once or twice).  :laugh:

Your need for deserved punishment however is still NO excuse for copping out of the tyre changeover, tut, tut  :laugh:.  Your choice of course my darling, but how come the original catalyst for this debate (from your perspective) was you seeking out a quieter tyre to replace the noisy Bridgestones, but it is now adequate rim protection that has become the overriding factor.  My, you are such a creature of whim, but I do love you for it.  :kiss: 

Be gentle with me as you prey  :kiss:

Still getting PSSess!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #294 on: 10 July 2015, 13:57 »
My dear Rebecca:

Reason for changing my mind is that I will only be in the UK for 5-6 months of the year and even then will not be driving the car very much. So changing the tyres is not an economical or sensible proposition. I am sure you would do the same.

You definitely should get the PSSes. You do many more miles than I do, have purchased your car and will be keeping it for a much longer time. So it makes sense.

I will also prey on you with the greatest of gentleness.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #295 on: 10 July 2015, 14:25 »
My dear Rebecca:

Reason for changing my mind is that I will only be in the UK for 5-6 months of the year and even then will not be driving the car very much. So changing the tyres is not an economical or sensible proposition. I am sure you would do the same.

You definitely should get the PSSes. You do many more miles than I do, have purchased your car and will be keeping it for a much longer time. So it makes sense.

I will also prey on you with the greatest of gentleness.

Under those circumstances I can understand and would most likely do the same.  I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in my car these day, some choice, most necessity, so it's worth it for me.  :smiley: 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #296 on: 10 July 2015, 15:21 »
Wow this thread is difficult to draw any kind of conclusion from! 

My stock Bridgestones are now in need of replacement on the front (24k) and I thought after reading reviews and various ratings that I'd decided on the Dunlops but now I'm thinking Continentals again.

Anyone else found the Bridgestones get a little noisy after 20k miles?  I had some really cheap tyres on my mk5 GTI and they droned like you wouldn't believe on the road.  Bridgestones are starting to sound similar, I suspect it's the back set going hard.

So, the Evo test said best summer tyres - is it foolish to decide based on that test since I run the same set all year round?

Monsta - I run summer tyres all year round.  I know some would baulk at this but in my neck of the woods it just doesn't really warrant winter tyres.

As interesting as they are, tyre reviews are only part of it and there's plenty of good first hand recommendations around from respected people to help make the choice.  I would have Contis 5p again without hesitation but want to try the Michelin PSS this time.  In reality there's probably not too much real world difference between the likes of PSS, Goodyear Eagles and Contis.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #297 on: 13 July 2015, 09:17 »
Just seen this 2015 tyre test by Auto Zeitung for 225/40 R18 tyres on Audi A3 1.8:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-AZ-225-40-R18-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

No.1: Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2
No.2: Pirelli P Zero
No.3: Continental ContiSport 5
No.4: Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
No.5: Nokian
No.6: Michelin PS3

Noisiest tyre: Continental

Best for wet and dry grip: Pirelli
Lowest fuel use and most comfortable: Goodyear
Quietest: Goodyear
Best tyre overall: Goodyear

Unfortunately, they have measured exterior noise levels.

Full test results:
http://www.laneks.lv/en/tests/read/AZ-2015-sum1.html

« Last Edit: 13 July 2015, 09:42 by am1w »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #298 on: 13 July 2015, 13:00 »
Just seen this 2015 tyre test by Auto Zeitung for 225/40 R18 tyres on Audi A3 1.8:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-AZ-225-40-R18-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

No.1: Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2
No.2: Pirelli P Zero
No.3: Continental ContiSport 5
No.4: Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
No.5: Nokian
No.6: Michelin PS3

Noisiest tyre: Continental

Best for wet and dry grip: Pirelli
Lowest fuel use and most comfortable: Goodyear
Quietest: Goodyear
Best tyre overall: Goodyear

Unfortunately, they have measured exterior noise levels.

Full test results:
http://www.laneks.lv/en/tests/read/AZ-2015-sum1.html

Aren't all tyre test noise levels measured externally?

Could you be tempted by the Goodyear F1s?  Or are you still intent on perservering with the Bridgestones for your sins?

No PSS, but no matter, still my next choice of tyre.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2015, 13:01 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #299 on: 13 July 2015, 13:26 »
For the here and now, and as things stand, I will put up with the noise. The R is a noisy car, of this there is no doubt and this has spoiled the ownership experience for me. I still have a BMW which rides and handles beautifully in Sport+, Sport and Comfort modes with next to no noise intrusion.

Have been talking to a chassis engineer by email and in his opinion and after him checking the suspension design and mounts  for the R. the transmission of road noise is a given for such a car. He also said that the Bridgestones are perhaps the noisiest tyres around. The best way to reduce the road noise is to change the tyres with softer sidewalls. Michelins and Continentals tend to be noisy. The Michelin PS3 is ranked as one of the noisiest of tyres, vying successfully in this respect with the Bridgestones. If I can be bothered, perhaps Goodyear, Hankook or Dunlop, as these are considered to be quiet. All have good Rim Protection.

Let's see; but nothing for now as I don't wish to spend any money on a car which I won't be keeping for too long. I'll use the R mainly as a shopping trolley and thus won't have to suffer much with road noise on these short trips.

Lease cheap, pay twice. seems to be the order of the day with this car. Could a GTI/GTD be quieter?

So that's that.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2015, 14:09 by am1w »