Author Topic: Car stalls when i slow down  (Read 1225 times)

Offline ifzal

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Car stalls when i slow down
« on: 13 September 2005, 22:04 »
Hi, im a newbie to this forum. Am also a newbie to VWs [previously confined life to Jap hot hatches]

Having read a post on this I think this is a common problem on 16v. Thing is im not familar with the tech speak yet for these cars so would appreciate it if someone could give me a fools guide as to how I can sort this problem out.

PS: I love my VW! Previously owned an imported Celica St205 WRC which was quick and bit of a brute but I have to say the drive on the VW is much more enjoyable.

I have posted a couple of other posts so that I can spend my weekend on sorting the little niggles.

Thanks and hope this is a long term relationship! :smiley:

Judderi

  • Guest
Re: Car stalls when i slow down
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2005, 13:26 »
Does the car stall all the time when warm or can you get it to tick over sometimes? 1st thing to check is the idle screw, try un screwing it a little to increase the idle tick over rpm.

If that does not do the trick then i would turn your attention to the idle stabilization valve or ISV. When you turn your ignition you should hear it buzz. If not then its probably broken. Its a good idea to take it off and clean it with brake cleaner to disolve all the gunk inside. Also clean the pipes that connect to it. Also check your air filter is in good condition.

A = Idle screw B= ISV


If all that fails you could give this a go.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=22031.0

Offline T1 VDUB

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Re: Car stalls when i slow down
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2005, 22:28 »
I had exactly the same problem untill today  :laugh:

The ISV (B) is connected to rubber pipes by 3 circular metal ties which are tightened by a screw. Loosen all of these and take out the metal ISV unit (about 4 incehs long) Pour petrol into it and cover both outlets with your fingers and then shake to clean it. Clean further with water if necessary.

At the top of the ISV is an electrical connector. Spray some WD40 on this and rub down to clean the circuts. Replace the ISV unit and tighten the screws onto the rubber pipes.

The idle (A) is a cylindical metal shaft held in place by a small bolt. Unscrew this bolt and  and then screw the metal shaft clockwise to "push" it further towards the idle control. I got mine so it read between 950 and 1000 on the RPM gauge.

For a few minutes you ISV (B) will adjust having been cleaned and then engine may cut out a few times. When the fuel gets used to going through it will stabilise and this should ort out your probs.

Tip: get 2 people to do this. When you are adjusting the RPM vis (A) you may need someone to keep the revs satble via the throttle.

I hope this idiot guide helps as I didnt have a clue untill today.  :cool:
16 Valve

Offline ifzal

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Car stalls when i slow down
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2005, 23:16 »
cheers guys for the advice. wasnt too hard understanding you guys [esp with the pictures!]. will tinker and report back.

Thanks :smiley: