Author Topic: headlight condensation  (Read 2911 times)

Offline wag29

• Not said much yet
headlight condensation
« on: 15 November 2014, 16:09 »
Hi all,
         Picked up my new golf GTD yesterday, and at the moment loving it, just went to park car in garage and noticed the headlights had condensation inside them, none at the top of lights just about half way down by where the indicator starts. The nearside light is worse than the offside light but to be honest looks a bit naff on brand new car with only 80 miles on clock. Is this a common thing or is it a trip back to dealers already! would appreciate any info. Thanks :sad:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: headlight condensation
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2014, 18:47 »
If you've only picked it up yesterday then how long have you had your lights on? It's quite chilly outside so your bound to get some condensation. It should disappear when your lights have been on and heated the lens housing up.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2014, 23:51 »
It's not just yours mate. There seems to be a general issue with both GTI and GTD headlights getting misty these days. They only condensate on the lower and inner side. It is due to the poor design of the headlights that don't get any heat on the inner side when the lights are on because the inner U is not lit like the R headlights and the small position bulb is just a small LED that doesn't generate much heat to help the headlight not misting up. The only source of heat inside the headlight is the main beam xenon bulb that only heats the outer side which never gets misty.
Going to the dealer will not help as they will say it's normal and it will go off overnight which does most of the times but I had a few situations where the next day the headlights were still foggy.
At the moment this is the thing that annoys me the most about this car as it makes it look old and cheap. Never before had misty headlights on previous cars and I had xenon lights on them too.
« Last Edit: 15 November 2014, 23:58 by GeoBog »
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2014, 09:10 »
I don't get condensation in my gtd headlights and it's outside all the time.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline wag29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2014, 20:47 »
Was quite surprised to see it on such a new design headlamp, just sold my 2012 golf gti which also had xenons and led daytime running light and never once did they mist up whatever the weather :angry: