Author Topic: Original stereo  (Read 3257 times)

Offline antgel

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 40
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2005, 14:56 »
Like billy I have a 'period feature' Panasonic radio cassette in mine. I use a tape adapter to get mp3s from my phone.
Not sure of the model, but could get a pic up?
Not sure there was a 'standard' head unit, I though it was up to the individual dealer, not 100% sure though.
 :smiley:

Like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4573422005&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Offline GTI EDITION (aka LTD)

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 515
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2005, 15:33 »
Like billy I have a 'period feature' Panasonic radio cassette in mine. I use a tape adapter to get mp3s from my phone.
Not sure of the model, but could get a pic up?
Not sure there was a 'standard' head unit, I though it was up to the individual dealer, not 100% sure though.
 :smiley:

Like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4573422005&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

These are the ones that I used to fit to new mk2s in the late 80s as a standard fitment but some customers did have upgrades .
But VW did sod about changing supplier from Blaupunkt to Panasonic to Pioneer then Sony depending on which company could do the best deal I'd imagine   ( a bit like the dealer fit alarm systems   )


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=19378

Does my arse look TOO BIG (to fit) in this (forum).... or was it something I said ?

Offline Organisys

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,330
  • Old and Slow...
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2005, 20:10 »
My car is a 1990. The stereo looks a little bit more modern (just).
I had to fit JBL (second hand) components as the factory speaker cones were ripped.us

To be honest I can't see much point spending loads of money on the sounds, theres too much road, tyre, wind, induction and exhaust noise! I save the good sound system for at home.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2005, 20:16 by Organisys »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline antgel

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 40
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2005, 23:26 »
My car is a 1990. The stereo looks a little bit more modern (just).
I had to fit JBL (second hand) components as the factory speaker cones were ripped.us

To be honest I can't see much point spending loads of money on the sounds, theres too much road, tyre, wind, induction and exhaust noise! I save the good sound system for at home.

Didi you install the component tweeters in the dash?  Easy fit?

Offline Organisys

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,330
  • Old and Slow...
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2005, 12:29 »
Yeah, slighty larger, fitted (just) you need to cut a little from the top of the dash to squeeze them in, but they go in eventually.

 :smiley:

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline antgel

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 40
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2005, 12:33 »
Yeah, slighty larger, fitted (just) you need to cut a little from the top of the dash to squeeze them in, but they go in eventually.

 :smiley:


What about the wiring and crossovers?

Offline Ozz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 690
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2005, 12:48 »
Wirings easy in a mk2, everything bolts off so you can run the wires wherever you like. Theres a couple of good places to mount crossovers too, one underneath the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel, theres a sort of shelf which I mounted one crossover too, and a similar thing to the far left of the dash, underneath (or slightly to the side, I cant quite remember!!) the glovebox. Had quite large crossovers and still managed to fit them tidily out of the way there!!
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline j_s

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 412
Re: Original stereo
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2005, 15:04 »
If you want good audio in the car, it doesn't matter what car you have unless it's a stripped out one and you need to save weight.
I'll have 50sqft of deadening in mine shortly along with 3 amps to power my 12" sub in the boot and 6.5" components in the front. I'll have an active front end with 300rms going to each mid and 100rms to each tweeter, I can assure you'll hear it over the road noise etc  :evil:
If you don't much care for how loud and the quality of sound then by all means go with the basics  :smiley:
James