Author Topic: MIL light has come on  (Read 4308 times)

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
MIL light has come on
« on: 15 August 2014, 09:02 »
Basically...long story short, I have a DTUK box and had 1 or 2 issues with it, the engine management seems to kick in and I get an orange coil...engine basically dies and the power totally goes!!! So I took the box of today, fitted the cables now the MIL light is on. Im sure all the cable are connected until they click in to place, I will re try this once engine cools down. But any ideas?! May have to take it to a garage and play dumb and not let on ive had a box fitted
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: MIL light has come on
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2014, 09:43 »
Basically...long story short, I have a DTUK box and had 1 or 2 issues with it, the engine management seems to kick in and I get an orange coil...engine basically dies and the power totally goes!!! So I took the box of today, fitted the cables now the MIL light is on. Im sure all the cable are connected until they click in to place, I will re try this once engine cools down. But any ideas?! May have to take it to a garage and play dumb and not let on ive had a box fitted

What box settings were you running at? What kind of mpg were you seeing (compared to normal) and were you getting frequent regens? If the turbo isn't duff, but you've been put into limp mode, i'd suggest the car is overfuelling and your DPF is a bit clogged. If all is well after cooling down (but maybe the coil light is still on and you get no red warnings not to drive the car), i'd suggest taking the car on a 20 mile motorway journey to burn some soot.

Do you use Millers fuel additive? I found that its use cut down my regens a lot, before box. Never had any regen bother with the box on.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2014, 09:44 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2014, 11:53 »
Exact same thing happened to be yesterday, car struggled to start in the morning and the engine management kicked in and the coil appeared. Removed the box and left the car while I was in the office for a bit. Both lights disappeared. Not sure whether to put the box back on yet or not...
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2014, 13:10 »
Exact same thing happened to be yesterday, car struggled to start in the morning and the engine management kicked in and the coil appeared. Removed the box and left the car while I was in the office for a bit. Both lights disappeared. Not sure whether to put the box back on yet or not...

Well ive just put mine back on after having it off for 3 maybe, 4 hours tops and the dashboard warnings seem to have vanished! Pain in the a s s when the "coil" appears, more often than not I turn the car off then back on and this seems to work...at times. More often than not though I have to take the unit out then wait a while before re-fitting.
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2014, 13:15 »

What box settings were you running at? What kind of mpg were you seeing (compared to normal) and were you getting frequent regens? If the turbo isn't duff, but you've been put into limp mode, i'd suggest the car is overfuelling and your DPF is a bit clogged. If all is well after cooling down (but maybe the coil light is still on and you get no red warnings not to drive the car), i'd suggest taking the car on a 20 mile motorway journey to burn some soot.

Do you use Millers fuel additive? I found that its use cut down my regens a lot, before box. Never had any regen bother with the box on.

All seems to be well now anyway after checking the cables and restarting the car.

Always ran with the way it was sent to me, 4 + 1. Never tinkered with it as I don't want to make a hash of it. The new system appears far easier to change settings. In regards to the MPG, with the box on I am averaging around 46mpg, but with the box off for a few hours my average went to 38.something, mainly due to ragging the t I t s off it to yet again compare with and without the box. Regens...haven't had one for a few weeks to my knowledge so clearly due one.

Never used Millers but worth a shot
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2014, 14:18 »

All seems to be well now anyway after checking the cables and restarting the car.

Always ran with the way it was sent to me, 4 + 1. Never tinkered with it as I don't want to make a hash of it. The new system appears far easier to change settings. In regards to the MPG, with the box on I am averaging around 46mpg, but with the box off for a few hours my average went to 38.something, mainly due to ragging the t I t s off it to yet again compare with and without the box. Regens...haven't had one for a few weeks to my knowledge so clearly due one.

Never used Millers but worth a shot

i'm on the equivalent of 4+1 on the new box after trying out plenty of other settings. Never had any bother with mine on that setting, old or new box, although old 4+2 didn't feel as sweet. Overfuelling perhaps? maybe knock it down to 4+0. If it were overfuelling i'd expect the frequency of regens to increase. I'd be contacting Andy if I were you.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2014, 14:33 »

My car had taken a lot longer to turn over and start from about 6 weeks ago, from about a second to about 4 seconds. It came in with the warmer weather, and when I took my box off for my service (a few days before the service) it didn't get any better. After the service it is turning over quickly again (with and without the box) and the issue I had with the car always defaulting to normal mode response even though it was left in sport mode (with and without the box - it is a car fault some others here have). I think I had a software update applied to my Engine management during service to fix these 2 issues. I'm 100% those 2 issues are not related to the box.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2014, 14:37 »
VirginVWman: Do you drive in Sport mode with the box on? I've always had normal, when I had the mode issues (defaulting to normal response in sport mode), and didn't mind as I preferred the linear power delivery rather than the heavy low response sport gives, as well as the 10% fuel penalty (Sport mode is consistently 5mpg thirstier for me, with and without the box).Maybe too much fuel is going through in Sport and 4+1. When I did have Sport mode on, I didn't find it any faster on my signpost tests. Give normal/4+1 a go or maybe drop to 4+0 if you're going to leave it in Sport? Worth a try.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2014, 14:48 »
VirginVWman: Do you drive in Sport mode with the box on? I've always had normal, when I had the mode issues (defaulting to normal response in sport mode), and didn't mind as I preferred the linear power delivery rather than the heavy low response sport gives, as well as the 10% fuel penalty (Sport mode is consistently 5mpg thirstier for me, with and without the box).Maybe too much fuel is going through in Sport and 4+1. When I did have Sport mode on, I didn't find it any faster on my signpost tests. Give normal/4+1 a go or maybe drop to 4+0 if you're going to leave it in Sport? Worth a try.

Really, no faster on the signpost test...all a placebo then! I will try it on normal and see how I get on as I am always in sport mode, and eco once in a blue moon but that lasts 5 minutes then I change it back. Not really had any issues until the last week really. Failing this I will drop Andy an e-mail and see what he suggests. 

And cheers for the help!
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2014, 16:20 »

I don't believe the modes alter the fuelling... only the "throttle" map...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)