Author Topic: GTI Tracking Device (or how easy is it to steal the new GTI)  (Read 2210 times)

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
I am thinking of having a tracking device fitted to my GTI. I know the only one approved by VW is the CobraTrak. Do you think it's worth to have it installed? I know usually the manufacturers and dealers say these new cars are virtually impossible to steal however given the high number of cases where cars with keyless were stolen in under 5 minutes by using some fancy electronic device I am thinking the tracking device would be worth. How easy (or not) do you think it is to steal the new GTI? Has anyone had the tracking device installed on theirs'?
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTI Tracking Device (or how easy is it to steal the new GTI)
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2014, 22:32 »
To be honest even with a tracker would you want the car back after some scum bag had screwed the nuts off it? You pay your insurance so if it's stolen get a new one.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Itteh

• Here all the time
  • Built Not Bought
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2014, 22:47 »
To be honest even with a tracker would you want the car back after some scum bag had screwed the nuts off it? You pay your insurance so if it's stolen get a new one.

wish it was just as easy as get a new one. i'd find it difficult to find one same spec or doing up all the mods to it again.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2014, 22:48 »
if they can steal it they will already know a cheap gps blocker makes the tracker useless   :whistle:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2014, 08:38 »

wish it was just as easy as get a new one. i'd find it difficult to find one same spec or doing up all the mods to it again.
Do you have return to invoice or gap insurance? Have you declared all your mods? I wouldn't want my car back if someone had stolen it!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.