Author Topic: Exhaust Tips  (Read 2264 times)

Offline scotland67

• Not said much yet
Exhaust Tips
« on: 24 July 2014, 08:50 »
Hi all
Have you all noticed that the chrome exhaust tips do not get black and sooty as they did on the mk 6. Just done a 500 mile trip and they are still clean. On the mk6 they were dirty after less than 10 miles.
Can this be down purely to lower emissions?

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Exhaust Tips
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2014, 12:34 »
Hi all
Have you all noticed that the chrome exhaust tips do not get black and sooty as they did on the mk 6. Just done a 500 mile trip and they are still clean. On the mk6 they were dirty after less than 10 miles.
Can this be down purely to lower emissions?

Yeah I've noticed it. Mine barely get sooty at all. They were really terrible in the MK5, they used to get black within a few miles and almost permanently black if you didn't keep on top of cleaning them.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2014, 15:24 »
Yep. Noticed it too. My previous Scirocco was a nightmare for blackened chrome exhaust tips  :angry:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Ian.C

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2014, 18:28 »
Agreed our Scirocco was very bad....

I think you'll find the addition of port injectors along with the direct injectors have solved alot of the sooting problems. The EA888 Gen 2 engines do suffer with coke build up around the valves as there is no fuel washing the valve stems clean as the EA888 gen 2 only had direct injection.

Having 8 injectors is a major part of why the EA888 gen3 can produce big power from a stage 1 tune.

Ian
3 Door - Pure White - PP

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2014, 17:33 »
I had a coil pack fail on my MK6 so replaced them all with the new revision.

My tips used to soot up but after the new coil packs were fitted they remain clean.
I haven't cleaned then in four weeks, about 1000 miles, and there is only a trace of soot in the inside.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(