Author Topic: Weird Parking Sensor alert  (Read 2265 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Weird Parking Sensor alert
« on: 17 July 2014, 18:28 »
Pulled up today at some traffic lights in the left hand lane with a large tall dumper truck pulling up in the right hand lane which was probably a good 2-3 meters away and my parking sensors went crazy, flashing red as though something very close to my right side, so much so the display changed to a restored down box overlapping my radio display (I could see both). Switching off parking sensor and on again and the alerts were still there although full screen again.

Anyone else experience this? Could it be a sensor/software issue or do significantly larger objects fairly close by confuse the sensors? (don't ever remember not parking against a taller 'object' of some sorts with the sensors activating)

Also, on the same journey I stopped a few times on a dual carriageway due to traffic with other vehicles around me and no sensors sounded.
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Weird Parking Sensor alert
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2014, 18:36 »
You got it in October and this is the first time that a lorry set off your parking sensors?

Good going then ;)

Lorries, or I think more likely massive engine vibrations upset the sensors and give false alarms... Seen it a fair few times myself. If they start beeping and I know I'll be stationary for more that a few seconds I just turn them off...
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2014, 18:54 »
Yep, never had my sensors go berserk with a vehicle pulling up beside me before and even when I park, the close red proximity alerts don't kick in unless I'm around a meter from the object. This lorry was at least 2 to 3 meters away and that should not set the red alerts off, green maybe at best.  :sad:
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2014, 09:12 »
I get this fault fairly regular (it just beeps and the graphic comes up on the big screen but doesn't go berserk). Often at traffic-lights surrounded by other cars. I just ignore it as an odd quirk of technology. Wouldn't bother taking it to the stealers unless it got a lot worse.

So, you're not the only one :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline pjr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2014, 09:54 »
Had the parking sensors go a bit crazy once while I was stationary, and a street sweeper lorry went past about 3-4 feet away. The front sensors showed red along with the accompanying beeping, and then as the lorry continued the rear sensors started doing the same.

Thought it might have been a combination of the size, and the rotating brushes etc. causing the sensors to pick up an unusual signal.

Hasn't done it again.
Tornado Red Golf GTI 5 Door (220PS) - Discover Nav, Winter Pack, Mudflaps & Service Plan (Built BW11 & collected 5th April 2014)

Spritmonitor Fuel Economy :