Author Topic: Scirocco 140 TDi > Glof GTD - 4 months on  (Read 5646 times)

Offline TigerERA004

• Not said much yet
Scirocco 140 TDi > Glof GTD - 4 months on
« on: 06 July 2014, 22:49 »
I find it hard to be objective until I have lived with a car for a while.
The Golf is now 4 months old and has just clocked 7000 miles.

Engine: It's faster for sure, but now I'm used to the performance it doesn't feel much quicker than the Scirocco, however I do love the smoothness of the engine.

Fuel Consumption: The Scirocco would usually average 50mpg over my mix of roads / driving style. The Golf is managing about 46mpg .... Drive very carefully on the motorway and it will do 60mpg (better than the Scirocco could manage), drive it hard on a B road and it will do less than 20 mpg (much worse than the Scirocco)

Handling: I was hoping the later generation chassis would makeup for the Golf's narrow track /tyres. Hussle the Golf through a series of bends at the same speed as the Scirocco and it feels very insecure and positively scarey in comparison.

Boot space: The extra roof height and aysmetrically split seats have been useful, but on a day to day basis the boot floor area in the Scirocco was more useful.

Other observations:

- The window switches are annoying. Almost every time I arrive at the Severn Bridge Tolls I lower rge rear windows to pay ... Is it just me?

- The Scirocco headlights were truely shocking. The Golf is fab!

And finally, It's much harder to find a Carbon Grey Golf in a dark multi storey car park. Thank god for remote locking!

Golf GTD 5dr Carbon Grey. Arrived in UK. 11th March 2014

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Scirocco 140 TDi > Glof GTD - 4 months on
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2014, 09:02 »
Is a different kind of power in the golf. I find myself driving along and then realising I'm going quicker than I think. Your mpg's will get better and if your handling is poor get the suspension checked for transport pucks and check your tyres.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2014, 16:04 »
I do what you do with the window switches when I'm not concentrating - the fronts are tucked too far ahead of what feels natural. If the Scirocco was as well equipped as the GTD (Xenons especially), I'd have stuck with my 170TDI Scirocco.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2014, 16:12 »
Hi Tiger, nice comparison, interesting about the scirocco boot - wouldn't have thought it!

As mcmaddy said, I wonder if everything is well if the handling seems scary. It should handle near on GTI pace and composure in the corners, and I've given it some welly and not had any scary feelings. Although, I don't think I've managed to reach 20mpg, so..  :whistle:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2014, 20:24 »
Tiger: What tyres do you  have on your GTD? You might be experiencing dodgy grip with Bridgestones especially in the wet or when you are driving your car extremely hard. Neither of my 2 Sciroccos tramped from pull-away, or had any tyre grip issues, they were a little wider at 235mm width, but should 10mm or 4% extra width make that much difference to the grip? Maybe it does,
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline TigerERA004

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2014, 21:43 »
Arrrh ..... Yes that's another thing (Golf axle tramp)

I don't think there's anything wrong with my Golf..... It is on Bridgestones at the moment so will be interesting to see if new tyres improve matters

Overall, the Golf is a better car taking everything into account. However, as Monkeyhanger says, strip away all the peripheral upsides of the Golf and the Scirocco is a better car in my opinion. Anyone who has made the same change think otherwise?

Golf GTD 5dr Carbon Grey. Arrived in UK. 11th March 2014

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2014, 21:50 »
Since switching my tyres to Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs I get no TCS or tramping. Even when nailing it in second. I've got 19s and originally had Pirelli P Zeros on.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2014, 22:16 »
Since switching my tyres to Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs I get no TCS or tramping. Even when nailing it in second. I've got 19s and originally had Pirelli P Zeros on.

Thats impressive. Front two tyres need changing, at the 11k mile mark with potenzas and so right foot heavy. At times they grip and you fly but if you need to put foot down at times and you tramp...you look like an absolute piece!!!!  How much are these dunlops per tyre?
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2014, 23:08 »
I was lucky to have continentals from the factory - I've not had tramping once, in dry or rain (and the traction control doesn't flicker too often either.)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2014, 07:45 »
I've never even seen my traction control light! You can't seriously say a scirocco is better than your mk7?? I sometimes wonder what people are thinking  :wink:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.