Author Topic: Central locking into a non central locked car  (Read 1475 times)

Offline eightvalve

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Central locking into a non central locked car
« on: 08 September 2005, 09:04 »
Has anyone put central locking into a non centrally locked car? Is it easy to do.  I can probably get the bits off epay but if it's a load of hassle I'll not bother. It's a 5 door by the way.
1989 Mk2 8v

Offline GTI EDITION (aka LTD)

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 515
Re: Central locking into a non central locked car
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2005, 09:33 »
It's fairly straight forward . I have fitted quite a few but these were VW accessory ones ,that had the rods bent to the correct shape and locate in the spare lever on the latch mechanism in the door, not the ones with small clamps that are secured to the existing rods .
If you are planning to do the tailgate you will need the special rod that clips into the slide in the release lever (early mk2s had different release buttons which don't have a slide to put the rod so you would need to source on from a scrappie or stealership and recode the barrel  )

Hope this helps ,
                                Oli  :smiley:


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=19378

Does my arse look TOO BIG (to fit) in this (forum).... or was it something I said ?

Offline Rain

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 541
  • forum irregular
Re: Central locking into a non central locked car
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2005, 15:42 »
yup agreed its simple even the kits in maplins etc are simple although backdoors are alittle more difficult front doors just need to attach the rods from teh locking kit to the locking pins but the rears involve making a rod shapped like a question mark ? so that it hooks into place and doesnt come off, with the universal kits you need to drill some holes so a vw specific kit might be better or an original nuematic vw one but these are harder to add to alarms etc for central locking but not impossible.

Offline Ozz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 690
Re: Central locking into a non central locked car
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2005, 16:08 »
Yeh I fitted a universal one from maplins to my last golf, easy enough, except the back doors were a bit fiddly, and was nervous at first drilling holes in the doors!! But once its in it works well and easy as anything to connect to most alarm systems.
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline Rain

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 541
  • forum irregular
Re: Central locking into a non central locked car
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2005, 10:57 »
i havent got round to the boot one need an extra one of those mechs for it and a rod for the look as the car doesnt have one anyone know if a DIY option i have the right lock with the metal block that shifts left to right but no rod to make it happen :S

Offline GTI EDITION (aka LTD)

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 515
Re: Central locking into a non central locked car
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2005, 11:43 »
You maybe able to source one of those rods from a mk2 at a breakers as a main dealer may only supply the complete lock assembly with the rod ,and that's only if the parts are still available :undecided:


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=19378

Does my arse look TOO BIG (to fit) in this (forum).... or was it something I said ?

Offline Rain

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 541
  • forum irregular
Re: Central locking into a non central locked car
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2005, 12:01 »
yer tried that they will only sell the whole lock too :S im tempted to buy a complete lock set anyways as i have 3 keys boot,doors(fuelcap) and ignition 1 for everything cept fuel cap would be nice :S

Offline eightvalve

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 54
Re: Central locking into a non central locked car
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2005, 09:58 »
 I went ahead and got a universal kit from Maplins. Seems a good deal at £21. So far I've attached the solenoid and rod to the front passenger door which went reasonably ok. I was able to bend the rod and locate it into the door pin lever in a hole that's obviously there for the factory fitted system.  So I dont have to fasten the solenoid rod to the existing door pin rod. When I attach the other solenoids I'll be ready to do the wiring. I see there are rubber grommets near the door hinges and adjacent to this in the car body, so I'll pull the wires through here I suppose. I'll have to buy a 5th solenoid for the boot. Perhaps I can splice into the wiring for one of the back doors to power the boot solenoid.
1989 Mk2 8v