Author Topic: DTUK CRD-T BOX -- GTD 240BHP??  (Read 71909 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: DTUK CRD-T BOX -- GTD 240BHP??
« Reply #60 on: 13 August 2014, 08:23 »
@rash149:

3+2 (new settings, same as mine on 3+1) is definitely the sweet spot on the new box. Maybe you're a little insensitive to a bigger torque surge e.g. you just feel a big shove when you put your foot down and can't differentiate between the stock shove and the boxed shove. Try putting your foot down to pass a known reference point (such as a sign on a clear road).

I have done this to assess the performance increases on each of my last 5 cars. I come off a sliproad onto a major road at 30mph and then hoof it to see what speed I can reach before passing a certain sign:-

Old 140PD MK5 Golf = 70mph
Old 170PD MK5 Golf = 80mph
Scirocco 140CR = 78mph
Scirocco 170CR = 82mph
GTD (stock) = 82mph (disappointing!)
GTD (DTUK 3+1)= 90mph

You won't have much more usable power in 1st and 2nd (traction issues if you give it everrything), but 3rd and 4th are very noticeably different. You'll notice the difference in 6th too. If you are at 70 and want to get up to 80 quickly, it is hardly worth knocking down a gear or two to do it with the new box.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline rash149

• Just got here
« Reply #61 on: 13 August 2014, 11:52 »
The way the box works it will fool the car into reporting more MPG. Fill the car with fuel and measure your MPG that way.

I've found 3+1 is the best setting for me. If you're not noticing any major difference power wise compared to stock then either you aren't driving the car right or your box is faulty.

There is a slight increase in power in 1st and slightly more in 2nd gear but it comes alive in 3rd. It flies in that gear.

Ive driven the car 1500 miles before putting the box on, most of which included a heavy foot so I do believe I am driving the car correctly. I'm not sure if the box is faulty, too early to tell i guess since I haven't played around with it much due to work and constant rain every day since fitting the box, but from my initial impressions it doesn't seem significant compared to stock. Maybe my expectations were too high? or I'm doing it wrong? (does the car need be started when activating/switching maps or car off with key in pre-ignition?) 1st + 2nd seem similar as everyone mentions but 3rd and 4th does not seem to 'fly'

@rash149:

3+2 (new settings, same as mine on 3+1) is definitely the sweet spot on the new box. Maybe you're a little insensitive to a bigger torque surge e.g. you just feel a big shove when you put your foot down and can't differentiate between the stock shove and the boxed shove. Try putting your foot down to pass a known reference point (such as a sign on a clear road).

I have done this to assess the performance increases on each of my last 5 cars. I come off a sliproad onto a major road at 30mph and then hoof it to see what speed I can reach before passing a certain sign:-

Old 140PD MK5 Golf = 70mph
Old 170PD MK5 Golf = 80mph
Scirocco 140CR = 78mph
Scirocco 170CR = 82mph
GTD (stock) = 82mph (disappointing!)
GTD (DTUK 3+1)= 90mph

You won't have much more usable power in 1st and 2nd (traction issues if you give it everrything), but 3rd and 4th are very noticeably different. You'll notice the difference in 6th too. If you are at 70 and want to get up to 80 quickly, it is hardly worth knocking down a gear or two to do it with the new box.

Thanks, that's a good idea ill try that. My friend has ordered a GTD and is coming in few weeks, i was going to compare the 2 cars but this method should work also.

Also off topic but what does the button when you fully depress the accelerator do? I have had auto's in the past and they downshift to the lowest possible gear but never encountered it in a manual before?

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #62 on: 13 August 2014, 12:55 »
the ignition needs to be switched on when changing maps, also once you have selected a map the lights should be bright and sold.. don't touch anything else simply place the box in-between the air box and battery. If you then go for a drive and pull over, open the bonnet (leaving the engine running) the lights will be flashing very faintly.

we have had a couple of customers who has pressed the P button after selecting a map which actually switches the box off.
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #63 on: 13 August 2014, 13:15 »
@rash: re
 Ive driven the car 1500 miles before putting the box on, most of which included a heavy foot so I do believe I am driving the car correctly. I'm not sure if the box is faulty, too early to tell i guess since I haven't played around with it much due to work and constant rain every day since fitting the box, but from my initial impressions it doesn't seem significant compared to stock. Maybe my expectations were too high? or I'm doing it wrong? (does the car need be started when activating/switching maps or car off with key in pre-ignition?) 1st + 2nd seem similar as everyone mentions but 3rd and 4th does not seem to 'fly'

I had unrealistic expectations to begin with and wasn't overly bowled over when I fitted it until I lived with it and took the box off...trust me, it makes a hell of an improvement!!! 1st no improvement, don't care what people say but there is a hell of an improvement in 2nd and so on! 3rd past 3000rpm does feel significantly different, pulls so much harder. Go for a wee race or as monkey hanger does, pick a sign or something in the road to compare your speed with your mates GTD, trust me, there will be a difference! Or just live with the box for a while on dry roads and take it off and it wont be long before its back on. Tempted myself to add the pedal box, good combo im sure.

And with manual, the click at the ar*e end of the accelerator only comes in handy when in eco mode, it seems to revert back to  sport, ideal for overtaking when you need some more gas
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 13 August 2014, 13:29 »

And with manual, the click at the ar*e end of the accelerator only comes in handy when in eco mode, it seems to revert back to  sport, ideal for overtaking when you need some more gas

That's exactly what the "clicky" zone at the end of the pedal is for. If you need some clout but are stuck in eco mode then the car will give you everything it has when you stamp it.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 13 August 2014, 13:50 »
If you don't notice the difference with it on (as you get used to it), try taking it off and see the difference - it'll feel like you're driving through treacle!

Do the signpost test or something similar.

Also, might sound daft or condescending, but are you driving it right? Is this your first performance turbo diesel, coming from a petrol maybe? The change in driving style takes some getting used to.

What I mean is, when you want to accelerate hard you should be always above 1800rpm in anything but first and second gear, but the car has the best response from 2300 - 3800rpm, keep it in that sweet spot and you should know the difference. If you sit in 6th doing 50mph (1380rpm) and then stab the accelerator, that car is not going to respond too keenly until you pass 1800rpm. The engine is likely only putting out between 80 and 90hp before the turbo comes into play....no turbo = no power. You can easily use some light acceleration to creep up from 30-40mph in 4th or 5th gear, but if you want to change pace quickly then you need to be doing at least 1800rpm.

I've also found that driving mode of the car changes your perception of what the box is doing. Without the box on, sport mode definitely feels livelier at the lower end of the turbo range (1700-2200rpm) than normal, but above that the two modes are pretty much the same - i'm guessing VW put in a modest boost increase in sports mode at the lower end of the turbo zone revs. My car is about 10% thirstier in sports mode than in normal mode (with and without the box) and also the initial urgency in sports mode gives you a false sense of power at the lower end, making the upper end feel less urgent. If you are in Sports mode now, try putting it in normal and see if you can appreciate the difference the box makes more clearly. It won't be any less powerful above 2500 revs, but it definitely makes the power delivery seem far more linear when you are in normal mode. 3+1 or 3+2 is where you'll probably want to be.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #66 on: 13 August 2014, 13:59 »
Rash: Or get the attention of a Civic R type - those drivers always seem to want to duel, they're like angry wasps in a beer garden!  :laugh: Every time I get near one on the road in everyday driving they want to challenge me (maybe as they're getting a bit older they're now in the price range of the late teen boy racers?).

It'll probably be about odds on at stock for a GTD and a the R type accelerating 30-80mph, but with the box on you'll easily leave them behind.

Offline rash149

• Just got here
« Reply #67 on: 14 August 2014, 13:37 »

Also, might sound daft or condescending, but are you driving it right? Is this your first performance turbo diesel, coming from a petrol maybe? The change in driving style takes some getting used to.

I've also found that driving mode of the car changes your perception of what the box is doing. Without the box on, sport mode definitely feels livelier at the lower end of the turbo range (1700-2200rpm) than normal, but above that the two modes are pretty much the same - i'm guessing VW put in a modest boost increase in sports mode at the lower end of the turbo zone revs. My car is about 10% thirstier in sports mode than in normal mode (with and without the box) and also the initial urgency in sports mode gives you a false sense of power at the lower end, making the upper end feel less urgent. If you are in Sports mode now, try putting it in normal and see if you can appreciate the difference the box makes more clearly. It won't be any less powerful above 2500 revs, but it definitely makes the power delivery seem far more linear when you are in normal mode. 3+1 or 3+2 is where you'll probably want to be.

I am more used to (and probably suited) to performance petrols but I wouldn't say I'm a total noob with a fast diesal as I used to have 330d's, e320 cdi and the mk5 gt tdi. Plus I spent a good 1500 miles driving this one to get used to it.

I think what I am trying to say is, before I put the box on i was used to this cars stock performance, so i knew what it felt like at certain speeds and ranges (torque and responsiveness wise) and then after putting the box on, I just didnt feel 'Wowed' that i had expected after reading comments from forums. No doubt there is a performance increase from before but it just didn't feel significant to me.

I will definitely try the speed range thing you mentioned and what 'virginvwman' suggested by putting it back to stock and feeling the difference. Most likely I have been premature with my thinking and probably just got used to it too quickly or had unrealistic expectations.

I'll have this saturday to have some quality time playing around with the settings and getting others involved to get second opinion too.

Rash: Or get the attention of a Civic R type - those drivers always seem to want to duel, they're like angry wasps in a beer garden!  :laugh: Every time I get near one on the road in everyday driving they want to challenge me (maybe as they're getting a bit older they're now in the price range of the late teen boy racers?).

It'll probably be about odds on at stock for a GTD and a the R type accelerating 30-80mph, but with the box on you'll easily leave them behind.

I wish i could find a type r to duel, there is barely any around here  :grin:
There are a fair few cooper S though

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #68 on: 14 August 2014, 13:43 »
Where in Wales are you??

Lots of Corsa VXR's around South Wales; they're fun to wind up  :whistle: :evil:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #69 on: 14 August 2014, 14:09 »
You definitely notice the box more when you take it off. You quickly get used to the extra power when you stick it on. Let us all know your results with the "signpost" test or similar.