Author Topic: Annoying banging from lowered springs  (Read 1373 times)

Offline mak2503

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 18
Annoying banging from lowered springs
« on: 30 August 2005, 21:59 »
I recent put a set of 40mm lowering springs on my wifes Golf GTI 8V and they have been on for a couple of months now with no problems but now the car has developed an annoying banging noise from the rear passenger side suspension.

I have noticed on a few threads that a washer placed between the top mount and the suspension cures the noise.

Is this correct or is there anything else I could do to cure it before I take the suspension to bits again?

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Annoying banging from lowered springs
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2005, 22:12 »
you get the same problem with the fronts sometimes.

Washers are fine :wink:
:)

Offline The Hoax

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 214
Re: Annoying banging from lowered springs
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2005, 22:56 »
I would not do the washers Mate. Mine is the same and has been driving me radio rental for months now.The rear bearings are the latest suspect and will be changed at the weekend.

If this does not work I am going to do my third strip down and replace my rear lowering kit with standard 16V items.

Mine had washers fitted above the top mounts and it made no difference. All it did was threw me when I assumed that if I rebuilt it the same way it would be right.

illumin

  • Guest
Re: Annoying banging from lowered springs
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2005, 08:47 »
Hmmmm.........I get a lot of weird noises from my suspension too, I thought it might have something to do with the lowering springs as no garage seems to be able to find a problem.....mak2503 - can you describe the banging noise a bit better for me? Is is like a knocking/rubbing noise? Or more of a rattle?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Annoying banging from lowered springs
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2005, 12:50 »
Could be the exhaust banging on the beam, notoriously difficult to get the exhaust to hang right over the beam.  Plus with the stiff suspension puts more strain on the rubbers so more likely to bang.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: Annoying banging from lowered springs
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2005, 19:37 »
did you cut the bumpstops a bit shorter?