Author Topic: MK7 GT 2.0 TDI 150 Dyno results  (Read 29812 times)

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
Re: MK7 GT 2.0 TDI 150 Dyno results
« Reply #40 on: 25 February 2014, 21:01 »
Sorry to sidetrack this thread slightly, but how do you know when your GTD is doing a regen? Also is it not good practice to turn off the engine whilst its doing one?

If you keep an eye on the oil temp while the car is in motion - if it's above 93C for more than a brief spell of hard acceleration then you'll be regenning. If the oil temp is 97-102C then the car is well into a full regen with all the conditions met to make it an effective one. You will notice that if you stop at some lights or at a roundabout then your idling will be up from 800rpm to around a thousand. You might get a whiff of a burning smell if you're stuck in traffic while a regen is going on. If your journey comes to an end and you're in the 97C+ temperature range, then your fan will be kicking in when you switch the engine off, for a good 5 mins or so to cool things down.

Ta very muchly
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #41 on: 26 February 2014, 17:55 »
Completely unbiased....just the standard GTI forum discount.  :grin:

Yes I have over-analysed my GTD to bits when comparing it to my Scirocco and feeling a bit shortchanged on the performance and mpg front. At one point I was probably competing with Bill for word count on here.  :whistle:
Thanks for the great write up on the DTUK offering monkeyhanger. I haven't even got my car yet but am thinking how appealing this addition is :laugh: I'll see how it goes after a few months (I'm changing from an 105bhp Eco diesel so the Power will feel great to me), but it's an amazing upgrade for the money.

How have you been finding it in the days since your review?

Will be interesting to see how your MPG fairs and if you get around the same as stock or otherwise.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 26 February 2014, 21:47 »
ffrank: Still going well. Have had a few blasts, but haven't been caning it too hard. 108 miles in from my last fill and the fuel gauge is reading about 1.5 small notches above 3/4 of a tank. I reckon i'll do about 125 miles to 3/4 full and still seem to be headed for 460 miles on the tank (I usually get around 450/460 from the range indicator).

You only need to tickle the throttle to drive it sensibly, with so much more in reserve for when you want to have a bit of fun/hit an empty stretch of road.

Gave it a bit of a hammering coming home from Newcastle tonight on an 8 mile journey and the fan was going when I got home - interrupted regen I think, oil temp was around 93/94 for the last stretch. Oil temp has been behaving as expected pre-box fitment.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 01 March 2014, 10:58 »
Sounds immense, thanks :)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 01 March 2014, 17:36 »
Been on an 80 mile round trip today, with most of the journey done at 80mph on dual carriageway. Sat at 80mph, the car's oil temp was between 98 and 102C, which should be ample to keep the DPF clean as a whistle. For quite a bit of the journey I was stuck behind a stubborn Corsa that could maintain 80mph on the downhill stretches, but 70mph on the uphill stretches, and there it remained in the outside lane for about 8 miles. A BMW123D (old shape) was stuck on my back bumper for about 3 miles, I mean liiterally 3 yards off it, I couldn't see any of the BMW below its windscreen, in my rear view mirror.

Got the Devil on my shoulder when the Corsa moved over, because of the BMW trying to sit in my back seats - straight up to 110mph on an uphill stretch, left quite a gap that the BMW was unable to fill. Once I got past the convoy of slow going lorries on the inside lane, I pulled in and dropped back down to 80 and the BMW passed me at about 95mph. Indicated mpg doesn't seem far off what the gauge is saying. I won't know for sure until I fill up, but driving the car generally as I did before adding the box and having a few spirited spurts of box enhanced acceleration doesn't seem to be penalising the mpg.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2014, 17:40 by monkeyhanger »

Offline mrluketee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 01 March 2014, 19:34 »

Got the Devil on my shoulder when the Corsa moved over, because of the BMW trying to sit in my back seats - straight up to 110mph on an uphill stretch, left quite a gap that the BMW was unable to fill.

Not bad at all. The more I hear the better it sounds!
Standard GTD 3dr

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 01 March 2014, 19:42 »

Got the Devil on my shoulder when the Corsa moved over, because of the BMW trying to sit in my back seats - straight up to 110mph on an uphill stretch, left quite a gap that the BMW was unable to fill.

Not bad at all. The more I hear the better it sounds!

I don't advocate driving like a twit, but for a short spurt, I out-twitted the twit behind me. Not my usual driving style, honest.  :rolleyes: The rest of the time, normal driving just feels effortless with the box.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 07 March 2014, 17:58 »
Well I finally got through my first tank of fuel with the box on (mainly Jet, topped up with a bit of Esso) to evaluate the box's effect on mpg.

Over 437 miles, the MFD was indicating 47.4mpg for the tank. Actual refill is 46.53L/10.16 Gallons.

So I got an actual 43.0mpg, and the MFD is reading 10% optimistic.

I have  consistently been getting around 43mpg actual, from an indicated 44.5mpg over the winter, with the MFD generally being 3% optimistic.

It would seem then that on average, the way i've been driving the car with the box on, the box has been putting 6.8% more fuel than the MFD thinks it is.

So no gains in mpg, but no losses either - and i've had a hell of a lot more fun out of my car as a result of having the box on. The car is just so much more responsive through all of the gears. I haven't had an active regen since fitting the box (save for the car finishing off the regen it was in the middle of when the box was fitted), and the car seems more eager to run at a slightly warmer oil temp, which I assume is helping burn off the collected soot easier for the commute I do.

Best £359 I have spent in a long time.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 08 March 2014, 09:01 »
Aren't actual and official mfd figures out by no more than 10% anyway. Read somewhere that anything less than 10% is classed as acceptable by vw so if that's the case your definitely no worse off with the box.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 08 March 2014, 10:18 »
Aren't actual and official mfd figures out by no more than 10% anyway. Read somewhere that anything less than 10% is classed as acceptable by vw so if that's the case your definitely no worse off with the box.

Previous VW's MFD mpg have been out by around 9% (optimistic), My MK7 GTD is around 3% out - they've really closed the reality gap this time around. Definitely the box's extra fuelling that has knocked the accuracy. I expected as much, as I believe that MFD mpg is worked off the amount of fuel that the ECU is telling the common rail to provide, whereas the MFD range and the fuel gauge carry on reading accurately to brim method calculation, indicating they are governed by the fuel sender.

Actual mpg is unchanged (from what we were getting a few weeks ago anyway), so if the warmer weather gains (maybe 3%) have been eaten up by the box, it's a small price to pay for a lot more fun with the car.